Film & TV, The Muse

Defiance a means of survival

The compelling yet little-known story of the Bielski brothers comes to the big screen in the upcoming production of Defiance. From the costumes to the acting, the portrayal of this time in history is appropriately haunting in its representation and precision.

The film presented ‘the opportunity to fill in a canvas,’ said director Edward Zwick. ‘[The Bielskis] accomplished something unimaginable, and that is very beautiful to me,’ he said.’ Daniel Craig, Liev Shrieber, and Jamie Bell take on the personas of the Bielski brothers in this heart-wrenching, edge- of-your-seat depiction of a momentous piece of history. Their performances do the Bielskis justice as Craig, Shrieber and Bell encompass the emotions and courage possessed by the brothers.’

Battling the cold winters of Belarus as well as the ever-present threat of a Nazi attack, a group of Jewish refuges work together to stay alive and uphold the dignity to which they are holding on. Tuvia (Craig), the oldest of the three, takes on the position of leader and guide, helping maintain a bit of sanity and order among the group. His mentoring and heroic tendencies conflict with the domineering, brash ideals of his brother Zus (Shrieber) temporarily separating the pack when Zus leaves to join a neighboring group of partisans, the October Otriad. Asael (Bell) grows as a mediator and steps up when needed, encouraging the group during a time when Tuvia begins doubting himself. ‘Nothing is impossible. What we all have done is impossible,’ says Asael in one scene ‘-‘- a fitting and encouraging declaration.’

The brothers stepped up in a time when desperation and uncertainty loomed within the Jewish community. ‘[They] found in themselves something fine and remarkable,’ said Zwick. ‘ A very inspiring set of circumstances . . . [They] became more than themselves.’ The Bielskis saved more than 1,200 Jews in the few years they lived in the forests of Belarus.

The film depicts only a short time during their fight for survival; however, in this depiction the audience is granted a peek into a tragedy that most will never come close to experiencing. Zwick selected an amazing cast, as they exude amazing performances and representations of brothers turned heroes in a time in history unbelievable, yet true. Defiance is not another Holocaust, World War II movie, but an extraordinary depiction of the true struggle for survival in circumstances both unfavorable and unwelcoming.

1. Great Article-can’t wait to see it.