Secret admirer strikes dorms

College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Rachel Hogue waited in Marsh Plaza on Valentine’s Day for her secret admirer to sweep her off of her feet. What she found instead was a group of about 25 students waiting for the same thing.

The students awoke that morning to find a typed love note shoved under their dorm room doors, penned by a ‘no longer secret admirer.’

‘To my Valentine, I’ve been thinking about you ever since we first saw each other in the GSU,’ the letters all began. Generic college references ‘-‘- ‘like that time we were waiting in line to get coffee’ and ‘when we were at Mike’s party’ ‘-‘- mixed with professions of uncontrollable passion to fill the rest of the single-spaced page. The author concluded by requesting that the recipient meet the admirer at Marsh Plaza at 6 p.m.

Upon realizing no potential lover was showing up, the students at Marsh Plaza admitted that they admired the crafty skill of the ‘admirer.’

‘I thought it was very funny and very well executed,’ Hogue said. ‘I’m glad I went to Marsh.’

The false cupids bestowed their charm upon the entire campus. Love letters were found shoved under dorm room doors from East to West Campus. Residents from dorms including 575 Commonwealth Ave., 1019 Commonwealth Ave., Danielsen Hall, Myles Standish Hall, Rich Hall, Shelton Hall and Sleeper Hall all said they received love notes.

‘There was a big group,’ CAS freshman Sharon Kuo said. ‘Someone told me he was from the Student Village. There were people from all the towers in Warren.’

She added that most of the people were just curious to see what would happen.

‘We just talked and laughed about it and then went home,’ she said.

College of Communication senior Brian Hayman said he went to Marsh Plaza to see who else would show up.

‘Honestly, I wanted to see if anyone else was going to be there,’ he said. ‘It seemed too ridiculous to pass up.”

Others who received identical notes under their doors said they were intrigued, but did not take it seriously.

‘I thought it was a joke, but my roommates thought it was for me because some of it made sense,’ COM junior Jacqueline Paris said. ‘I work in the GSU and I have a friend Mike.’

CAS freshman Auri Fredrich said he thought it was a ruse to get students to attend a school event.

‘All I thought was that it was the RHA,’ he said. ‘I thought they were trying to get people to go to Marsh Plaza for something.’

The would-be Casanova is still at large, though many students who received the notes said they longed for the culprit, or cupid, to reveal themselves.

‘Honestly, whoever did it should come forward because no one was angry at all,’ Hogue said. ‘We were just really entertained.’

Daily Free Press staff writers Jenna Ebersole, Chonel LaPorte, Jackie Reiss and Lilia Stantcheva contributed to the reporting of this article.

1. That is pretty damn hilarious.