Restaurant Week beefs up in `09

As consumers continue to scurry to save every penny and restaurants scramble for new ways to draw hesitant diners, Boston kicked off its semiannual Restaurant Week with more participants than ever on Monday.’

Greater Boston Convention and Visitors Bureau spokeswoman Stacy Sheffler said Restaurant Week will not suffer ill effects from the economic recession. She said at least 40 more restaurants than last year are participating. The ‘week,’ sponsored by the GBCVB and American Express, will last from March 15th to the 20nd and the 22nd to the 27th.

‘We’re the size of New York last year,’ Sheffler said. ‘Boston was one of the first major cities to have a program like this.’

The event has grown considerably since its inception in 2001, attracting people from Boston, its suburbs and nearby states, Sheffler said. This year about 225 restaurants are offering $30.09 fixed price dinners, $20.09 lunches and new two-course lunch menus priced at $15.09.

For every meal paid with an American Express card, 25 cents will be donated to Community Servings, a non-profit that delivers food to Massachusetts residents homebound due to HIV/AIDS or other illnesses.

Sheffler said GBCVB Chief Executive Pat Moscaritolo called Restaurant Week a ‘stimulus package’ for the restaurant industry.

‘Under these conditions, if something like Restaurant Week does well it could be that it’s even more valid,’ Sheffler said.

Back Bay Association spokesman Alexander Cooper said the organization expected this year’s Restaurant Week to be as successful as in previous years.

‘It’s a great way to tie together all the fantastic restaurants that the city has to offer,’ Cooper said.

The Back Bay Association is a group of area merchants, hotels, property owners and restaurants that advocate for the area’s commercial competitiveness.

Bricco manager Nick Vatistas said the restaurant decided to participate in Restaurant Week for the first time this year.

‘It’s definitely a time people look forward to in the city,’ Vatistas said. ’80 percent of the restaurant [is] booked every night [of Restaurant Week].’

Vatistas said the decision was not a result of the economy, as restaurant profits have not suffered, and that he was unsure as to why the restaurant had not participated before.

33 Restaurant and Lounge and Stix Restaurant and Lounge spokeswoman Rachel Sagiroglu said the ailing economy has affected business at both restaurants, but Restaurant Week offered a chance for more people to dine out.

‘It’s been a little bit tough this year,’ Sagiroglu said. ‘But I think people are still coming out and enjoying the values we have to offer.’

Elephant Walk assistant manager Max Boehlke said the restaurant has participated for several years with success and hopes to continue the trend this year. Elephant Walk is a restaurant that has locations in Boston, Cambridge and Waltham.

Boehlke said last week seemed especially slow for business, and he suspects people were preparing to go out frequently during Restaurant Week.

‘I think people are looking for an excuse to go out,’ he said.

College of Communication freshman Adam Azahari said Restaurant Week is a great way for college students to have great food at a low price.

‘When you hear discount you can’t really pass up an opportunity like that,’ he said.