Bomb scare shuts down Kenmore Square

The Bank of America and the streets around it in Kenmore Square were shut down when a mannequin chained to the bank door yielding a note of protest caused a bomb scare Tuesday morning.

Boston Police Department was contacted at 8:37 a.m. because a suspicious item was locking in Bank of America employees at 540 Commonwealth Avenue, BPD spokesman Joe Zanoli said.

‘[The caller] reported a mannequin chained to the front doors,’ Zanoli said.’ ‘There was some type of note left on the front of the mannequin, but there were no specifics on what the note said.’

The mannequin, dressed in jeans, a sweatshirt and a Boston Red Sox cap, donned a large sign across its front condemning ‘climate change,’ according to an article from TheBostonChannel.com.

‘At that point, the bomb squad was called out and inspected the mannequin,’ Zanoli said.’ ‘No explosive devices were located within it.’ It was removed within the hour.’

Mannequins for Climate Justice claimed responsibility for the incident, which was meant to protest ‘the fossil fuel industry and its collaborators who are destroying the Earth,’ they said in a press release, according to TheBostonChannel.com.

According to the article, Bank of America released a statement that said the bank did not agree with the positions of the protest group, but respected the group’s right to voice them.’ However, the statement continued to say that the bank found all acts of vandalism unfortunate and unproductive.

Zanoli said investigations of the perpetrators are currently in progress.