MBTA’s future up to bill

The future of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority is in question after bills presented by Massachusetts legislators proposed a drastic restructuring of the debt-ridden authority last week.

The MBTA is facing a $160 million deficit for fiscal 2010. The House of Representatives presented a bill Friday that would put the MBTA under governmental control and restructure pension rules for workers, according to a transcript of the bill on the House’s official website. The state approved a similar bill on March 25 that would create a new transportation agency and eliminate the MBTA.

Pension reform has been one of the major focuses of the bills.’ Currently, MBTA employees can retire after working 23 years and receive full health care and benefits for 30 to 40 years, which is longer than they work, according to a report from the Massachusetts Taxpayers Foundation released March 30.

MTF, a nonprofit foundation backed by businesses, released the report with recommendations to save the MBTA $1.25 billion over the next 20 years by reforming heath insurance and pension policies.

The House bill would require MBTA employees to work for 25 years and be 55 years old before they can retire. MBTA employees said they are concerned about the proposed reforms.

‘I can’t believe this is actually happening,’ bus driver Tasha Haygood said. ‘I mean everyone looks forward to retiring and receiving their pension. Now we have to wait for two more years?’

Haygood said she is confused and frustrated with the legislation because employees have not had the possible changes explained to them as thoroughly as she would like, and they have no power to fight against them.

‘I feel like I’ve been left out in the dark,’ she said. ‘I feel like the MBTA employees are going to lose, and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it. It’s horrible.’

Carmen Union, the largest union representing MBTA, states on its website, ‘Tell the Massachusetts State Senate and House of Representatives to ‘Negotiate Don’t Legislate’ the conditions of Local 589 members’ health care and pensions.’

Haygood, a Carmen Union member, said although the union’s leaders have encouraged workers to act, they have not coordinated anything themselves.

‘We don’t actually fully understand all the issues at hand,’ she said.

Despite several calls and emails, Carmen Union representatives could not be reached for comment at press time.

MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo said although the MBTA supports reform, it will not comment ‘until after the entire legislation has acted.”

The House is expected to deliberate on their bill Tuesday.