Beware of the Bear trap

The No. 15/16 Boston University men’s soccer team will conclude its non-conference schedule this season with a decisive match-up against No. 23/23 Brown University Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Stevenson Field in Providence, R.I.

The Terriers’ (6-2-1) game against the Bears (4-0-3) is an important one for a surging BU team riding its first three-game winning streak of the year. Adding more wins to that streak could continue BU’s trek up the national-rankings ladder.

At times, BU coach Neil Roberts has stressed the importance of a high ranking in the polls. A spot in the top-25 could lead to national exposure for the oft-overlooked America East and possibly postseason success for his own team.

‘It’s nice being in the polls, but does it mean we’ll play well in games?’ Roberts asked. ‘Is it going to affect how we play for the rest of the season and in the playoffs? Well, no. We still have to go out there and play our game.’

BU has played some of its finest games against other ranked opponents, against who the Terriers are undefeated this season. The Terriers defeated then-No. 12/14 University of Connecticut in a blowout, 3-0, Sept. 5. Just more than a week later, BU took on No. 1/4 St. John’s University and left Nickerson Field with a 1-0 victory.

However, this is also the first time that the Terriers will enter a game against a ranked opponent as the favorite. BU was ranked lower than both UConn and St. John’s.

The two upset wins earned the Terriers national accolades and a higher ranking. That said, a win over Brown will help BU approach the top 10.

Beating yet another ranked opponent will also give the Terriers momentum before they tackle an anticipated easy trip through the America East. Last season, BU defeated each of its last nine conference opponents, including a 1-0 shutout of Binghamton University in the America East Tournament finals.

Defeating Brown will not be an easy task for the Terriers. The teams played to a 0-0 draw last year – the first scoreless game in a series that dates back to 1969.

The series has gone back and forth since then, with the Bears holding a slight advantage over the Terriers, 16-14-2. Recently, BU has held the edge – barely – with a 3-2-1 record against Brown since 2003.

Though another scoreless draw is unlikely, Wednesday’s game will come down to defense. The Terriers will need to find a way to break a solid Bears defense that has allowed just three goals in seven games this season. All four of Brown’s wins have come via shutouts.

Junior goaltender Paul Grandstrand started every one of those shutouts. He leads the defense with 19 saves and 0.41 goals against average.

BU will field a defensive unit that has also recorded four shutouts, and one that also starts an imposing force in net. Senior goaltender Hrafn Davidsson already has 33 saves this season and a .906 save percentage.

If either team does manage to score, it will likely be off the feet of a few key players. BU junior Aaron O’Neal received America East Player of the Week honors for scoring three goals in the Terriers’ last two games. The junior pounded home both goals in the Terriers 2-1 victory Saturday over the University of Rhode Island, his third multiple-goal game in just nine contests this season.

The Bears can count on several players to generate offense, but any goal they score will most likely come from sophomore Austin Mandel, who leads the team with four goals. Junior Jon Okafor and freshman Dylan Remick, who each have two goals and an assist apiece, could also cause problems for the Terriers’ backfield.