Midnight classes a solution for some Bunker Hill students

For most students, midnight means getting food from Late Nite, catching up on reading or cramming for an exam the next day. But for some students at Bunker Hill Community College, midnight is when classes begin.

The community college, located across the river towards Charlestown, began offering two courses ‘- College Writing I and Psychology 101 ‘- from 11:45 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. this fall. The classes were introduced to accommodate an increase in students at a time of rising tuition and greater budget cuts, officials said.

Midnight psychology professor Kathleen O’Neill said she came up with the idea for midnight classes last spring.

‘We had students up working all night long, and I knew the school was going to be packed this semester,’ she said.

Although O’Neill said she and other school officials did not know how the new courses would work, they expected there would be an interest from students who have full time jobs, or students who worked better late at night.

Professor Wick Sloane, who teaches the midnight writing course, said he was curious to see who would show up to such a time slot.’ ‘

‘Community college students are heroes, whatever time the class is,’ Sloane said.

Sloane said many students in his 7 a.m. classes are coming off work, often at Logan International Airport, while students in his 2 p.m. class may have to be at work at midnight.

‘These are students who have difficult jobs and long commutes and family responsibilities, and still they are dedicated enough to make time for education,’ Sloane said.

O’Neill said her class has a great mix of people.

‘Their stories are all different,’ O’Neill said. ‘One student has a job that starts at 3 a.m., so this class works for him, while another student works the evening shift at a restaurant and comes straight from work.

‘The overall feeling I get from the students is that they are grateful it can work for them,’ O’Neill said.

Coffee and desserts are in constant supply during both of the courses, the professors said.

‘There is no trouble keeping students’ attention . . . they are very engaged and curious and motivated,’ Sloane said. ‘The motivation of community college students is fuel for any teacher, and Kathleen and I think that our midnight sections have the fewest yawns.’

Kyle MacLeod, a student at BHCC, said he takes classes during the day and works the late shift at his job, but he thought the late classes were a good idea.

‘I didn’t even know they offered midnight classes,’ Macleod said.

Both O’Neill and Sloane said they plan to teach midnight courses during the spring semester, and hope to allow more students to attend the late classes.