More than 6,000 flu shots administered this year

The number of Boston University students immunized against the seasonal flu through Student Health Services has increased drastically this year, resulting in a comparatively low number of flu cases, officials said.

More than 6,000 BU students have been immunized through university clinics so far this year, Student Health Services Assistant Director Chris Valadao said. Normally, that figure is between 1,200 and 1,300.

Valadao said the change is due to a higher demand from students and increased supply of vaccinations to meet the public’s needs.

BU spokesman Colin Riley said there has been a greater awareness among students of the flu.

‘People understand the benefit, or maybe their parents do, and there’s been attention in the media,’ Riley said. ‘There have been discussions about the fact that vaccines do provide a benefit. Certainly, if you’ve had the flu before and been knocked down for a week, or had friends who had it, you understand why people in health professions advise [getting the vaccine].’

BU is not expected to receive enough of the H1N1 vaccine to immunize more than the ‘priority groups,’ which include health care workers and pregnant women, among others, until January at the earliest, SHS director David McBride said in an email sent to the BU community on Friday. But, McBride said, the treatments for the ‘regular’ flu have been effective so far. Though more than 300 cases of the flu or flu-like symptoms have been reported this year, that number is comparatively low.

Riley said students with symptoms should take care of themselves and communicate with faculty that they need to stay in their rooms.

‘By vaccinating that large a percentage, the possibility of the flu running through a particular floor is less,’ Riley said. ‘The more people who have the vaccine, the more likely it is to have some benefit and reduce the percentage of students who have to miss class.

Riley said there were no provisions in SHS’s budget for an increased number of flu shots because budgets are put together years in advance. However, he said, BU had no problem covering the cost of clinics.

‘There are some associated costs with providing vaccines,’ he said. ‘But a healthy student body, staff and faculty is worth it.’

SHS’s clinics are for BU students, staff and faculty alone, although there are a number of clinics around the city that are not limited to the BU community, Riley said.

College of Arts and Sciences freshman Phillipe Chatelain said he has seen multiple effects of the increased number of clinics and the emphasis the school is putting on them.

‘I think it’s increasing fear [of the flu], since it’s being made a pretty big deal,’ he said. ‘But people understand the importance of these clinics, so I feel many people are taking advantage of them.’

College of Communication freshman Keely McCaffrey, who attended one of the October clinics, said she thinks they are having a positive impact on the BU community.

‘The nurses giving the shots were really nice and helpful,’ she said. ‘I feel safer now about living in a dorm with so many people and knowing that I won’t get sick because so many people have gotten shots.’