Campus

Sculptures, memorials provide artistic backdrop on campus

From the famous Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. monument in the center of Marsh Plaza to the “whale” sculpture on the Boston University Beach, art can be found in every niche on BU’s campus.

Sculptor Sergio Castillo created the “Free at Last” monument, located on Marsh, in honor of King in 1975. King’s famous quotations about peace and equality are engraved at the base of the sculpture.

“We must come to see that the end we seek is a society of peace,” the base on the west side of the monument reads. “That will be the day not of the black man, not of the white man. That will be the day of man as man.”

The 50 doves flying in formation represent the fifty states and peace, according to the Smithsonian Art Inventories Catalog website.

Castillo, originally from Chile, is the 1997 recipient of National Award in Art and creator of many popular sculptures from around the world, according to his biography on the Smithsonian Art Museum Website.

Students said they enjoy the monument’s appearance and what stands for.

“I can’t help but stare at the doves because they are so beautiful,” said College of Arts and Sciences freshman Elizabeth Rich.

School of Hospitality Administration freshman Eleanor Brink agreed.

“I love that they are there to remind us of Martin Luther King Jr. and his message of peace,” she said.

Just behind Marsh Plaza on the BU Beach is the famous sculpture “Point-Counterpoint,” known to many as the whale, made by BU alumnus Russell Jacques.

In his online biography, Jacques describes his piece as “elegant in leek, delicate in character and seething in response with an almost ethereal contrast to the landscapes they occupy.”

College of Fine Arts sophomore Tania Machado she likes the sculpture because it is a BU icon.

“It’s really cool, almost like a landmark now,” she said. “I like how it’s art somewhere where a lot of BU students gather so like a lot of people can see it at once.”

Others, like College of Communication freshman Keya Vakil, said they admire the sculpture and like it because of its practicality.

“It’s a really nice sculpture,” he said. “But I usually lean on it when I do work at BU Beach because it’s comfortable and a good backrest.”

A select few works of art have also cropped up near the BU West T stop.

The paintings of Rhett battling the University of Wisconsin-Madison badger, the Boston College eagle and the Northeastern University husky, located by the West Campus T stop, are often overlooked but still admired by students.

“I just noticed them recently but they are intriguing,” said College of Communication freshman Sneha Dasgupta. “They really bring a sense of school spirit, especially since you walk by them before you get to Agganis Arena.”

1. What a great piece! I love to see the Freep highlighting the great public art scattered around BU’s campus. I’m a BU & Freep alumna (CAS ’07, COM ’07), and I now work for cultureNOW.org, an online art & culture map. I’m posting BU’s public art collection to the map, and I was wondering about the titles of some other campus sculptures, like the tangled cube and the silhouette couple behind Marsh Plaza. Any chance I could connect with the article’s author?
    Best,
    Jessica