STAFF EDIT: …Don't say anything at all

Though they hoped the “Knock it off” campaign they represented would dissuade Americans from casual use of the word “gay” in place of something stupid, Hilary Duff and Wanda Sykes never quite garnered the interest of the masses. But they had the right and the capacity to speak out, and millions of others across the country who were and are still doing much more significant work for the gay rights movement have the means and the rights to carry on. Minority groups, women’s rights organizations and religious sects can also still picket and collect signatures as they please.

A group of protesters that gathered at the Statehouse Monday uniquely addressed a division of United States citizenry that cannot always defend itself in the same way. Advocates of those who live with mental disabilities aimed to get enough pledges to start a movement to ban the word “retard” in Massachusetts, and while the measure might have been extreme, it certainly sheds light on how pervasive the needless and senseless piece of rhetoric has become. It is not only on the lips of Kristin Cavallari; the word has proven it can transcend all people and classes when Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel let it slip in reference to fellow Democrats inside a closed-doors meeting last month.

It would be a stretch to say the use of the word is worthy of legislative repercussions or public condemnation. But it is omnipresent, used carelessly and needless in conversation. Citizens who face mental challenges &-&- who, remember, still have the same voting rights as the rest of the populace &-&- should not be the last-resort punch line for a fellow citizen who is too lazy or tactless to express himself or herself in a clearer way. We’ve done away with other slurs and comments and might even cringe at the mention of some, but this one is still used and used by officials that represent the subject of their mockery.

Like any other term of ridicule, “retarded” will slip out here and there, but its conscious use &-&- especially in our country’s political sphere &-&- is just stupid. The term “free speech” is often thrown around in reference to movements like these, but it’s not about allowing or disallowing one word or another. It’s about demonstrating basic discretion and having enough consideration to say nothing instead of further distancing ourselves from a group that doesn’t deserve brazen contempt.