Food, The Muse

Fish Market a big fish in a small restaurant

A fish market is a place that’s more likely associated with briny odors, workers screaming at each other and at patrons in different dialects and the deafening noise of utility trucks unloading cargo. Instead, Fish Market on Brighton Avenue is a hidden oasis among the hustle and bustle of Allston. The simple elegance of this tiny sushi bar that seats no more than 25 immediately transports you to another world. The décor is minimal but sophisticated: bamboo-looking wooden planks line the porcelain-white walls and comfy mint-green chairs ensure your meal will be relaxed, regardless of the small room.

Two sushi masters stand behind the sushi bar, allowing all patrons to get a front-row view of the action. The BYOB policy at Fish Market (and its location right next to Blanchard’s Liquor Store) promises you’ll get the most out of your experience for the least amount of money. I recommend picking up a bottle of “G Sake” ($14) before sitting down for dinner.

Fish Market’s charming character is a bonus, however they would still leave you satisfied if they served their masterful sushi creations out of a cardboard box. Forget your go-to California Roll and instead, try some of the one-of-a-kind creations that make this sushi bar a way-above-average choice. We started with the special of the night, Truffled Tuna, a beautiful presentation of tuna sashimi in truffle oil topped with roe. Next, we moved on to the Kobe Beef appetizer, which was served with a salsa of red onion, sesame oil and caviar ($18). While this dish will certainly set you back a couple of dollars, its decadence and deliciousness make it a worthy choice.

When we ordered, our waiter informed us that the Grilled Hamachi Kama would take at least 30 minutes to prepare, so we were shocked when he brought it out only 15 minutes later. The grilled yellowtail collar was served piping hot, with a crusty outer layer that encases the flaky fish neck. For only $6, this dish probably has the best value on the whole menu: it’s a large piece of fish, definitely enough for two and flawlessly prepared. Our bubbly server brought each plate out in succession, similar to how food is dished out at small-plate or tapas places. The avocado ball is a baseball-sized dome of spicy tuna salad covered with thin slices of avocado. This dish allows you to fully experience the amazingly fresh quality of the fish here, which is either imported from Japan or sourced locally by some of the best vendors around.

The uni sushi ($1.50/$3 sashimi) was the star of the meal. The tangerine-hued urchin roe was salty, creamy and flavorful; it didn’t leave an off-putting bitter aftertaste as I’ve had before. The beautifully marbled Toro with Tempura Flakes ($3.50/$7 sashimi) also left us wanting more. Finally, if it’s still available, order the Amber Jack ($3.50/$7 sashimi) special, or baby yellowtail. This sweet piece of hamachi is a treat that any sushi lover would enjoy.

When we were sure our stomachs couldn’t fit anymore, our waiter brought out the last of our meal, two beautifully presented special maki; a whopping 10 pieces each. So, we guzzled some more sake and Sapporo and dared ourselves to finish. The White Tiger Maki ($9) was a stunning roll of tuna, roe and cucumber, wrapped in a piece of elegant striated white seaweed. This light roll is a delicious choice, perfect for the less adventurous sushi-goers. However, the Seared Mutzu Maki ($15) is not for those who only enjoy traditional Japanese rolls. This maki of cucumber, asparagus, tempura flakes, white tuna and spicy mayo was topped with jalapenos and a sweet ginger sauce that was slightly reminiscent of barbeque sauce. Though it wasn’t our favorite part of the meal, the maki still wowed us with its imaginative originality and gorgeous presentation.

Last call occurs before 10 p.m., so don’t try to pack a big group in here for scorpion bowls and sake bombs. Instead, opt for this amazing restaurant as a charming first date spot or for a casual, but chic dinner with a friend. Fish Market will provide you with what is the best sushi in Boston for the price, and you’ll stumble out the door swearing you were in Osaka.

Fish Market, 170 Brighton Ave
Closed Mondays