STAFF EDIT: Broadening horizons and requirements

The One BU Task Force outlined in its “Unlocking the Undergraduate Experience” report myriad plans to unify the university and make the campus a better, more enjoyable place for students, academically and otherwise. But what about those who wish to leave campus for a semester or two and study abroad?

It is a well-known fact that BU prides itself on, and capitalizes upon, the variety and popularity of its many abroad options. Even beyond the BU campus, students from all over the country apply to the university’s international programs, some for the academics, some for the experience and others for a shot at the internship of a lifetime. But some students are not afforded the opportunity to do any of those things. The Task Force Report aims to change that.

Currently, there is a universal grade point average requirement to go abroad of 3.0, cumulative and in a student’s major. While some schools may allow students to apply regardless of their GPA, and the International Programs Office may look at some applicants on a more subjective basis, other students are prevented from ever even applying. For instance, advisers in the College of Communication refuse to sign any paperwork permitting a student to apply for a COM-sponsored internship program if the student’s GPA does not meet the university requirement, despite the fact that those working in the International Programs office often encourage and accept students who do not have a 3.0 average to apply.

While it is understandable that some students may not be accepted to an abroad program, the current GPA requirement of 3.0 turns the programs a privilege rather than a right to university students. What if you wanted to study abroad for a language-specific program? Shouldn’t your fluency be taken into account over your lower GPA because you bombed a chemistry class freshman year? Why will this university refuse to let students participate in academic programs, for which they are willing to participate, based solely on one factor when part of the reason we are admitted to BU in the first place is because we are multi-faceted, multitalented individuals?

Based on recommendations in the One BU Task Force Report, administrators are now in negotiations to lower or possibly eliminate the study abroad GPA requirement, instead instating a more subjective policy that looks at students’ applications based on their relevant coursework, skills, attributes and other factors. Under proposed changes, students would only have to be in good academic standing and have made satisfactory, relevant progress. This is in the name of greater global opportunities that will better prepare more students for graduation and beyond.

Academic programs at an academic institution should not be a privilege, but a right within reason. And furthermore, they should be encouraged to take advantage of these programs. As long as a B- (2.7 to 2.9) student is within good standing and shows prowess in, for example, Spanish, there is no harm in allowing that student to go to Madrid for a semester. Furthermore, certain majors or colleges within the university are not as straightforward with grading compared to others. For example, an English major could argue that the Bs they have been awarded for their work are completely subjective and that they would not be a B student if it weren’t for that one professor. A math major, on the other hand, might have some trouble arguing that their 75 percent on a calculus test wasn’t warranted.

Either way, we hope that any changes making study abroad more accessible are implemented sooner rather than later. It’s a shame that even one student should miss out on an enriching, academic opportunity because of outdated, overly stringent policies.