Holder to grads: ‘You must do your part to improve the world around you’

Attorney General Eric Holder addressed about 20,000 graduates and attendees at Nickerson Field Sunday for Boston University’s Class of 2010 graduation.

Holder, who is the first black leader of the U.S. Department of Justice, passed along words of wisdom to the graduates, echoing the words of Martin Luther King Jr. and Abraham Lincoln.

“Despite the challenges before us, despite the threats we face and the problems we must address, incredible progress is being made,” he said. “In fact, from the day you entered BU to this day on which you leave it &- degree in hand &- we’ve made strides that, just four years ago, were unimaginable.”

Holder discussed the world today, emphasizing that despite the progress that has been made, “darkness remains.”

“Although between our iPods and BlackBerrys, life, on its surface, may feel easier today than ever, the truth is that there is nothing easy about 2010,” he said. “Which means you have a choice to make: You can decide that life has dealt you a bad hand and you can give up. Or, class of 2010, you can decide to accept the challenges that confront you, and you can look up &- and, because it’s dark enough, you can see the stars.”

He emphasized the importance of “being a servant for the public good” and praised the Class of 2010, 6,200 graduates in all, for its community service in Boston and around the world this past year, but also reminded the graduates that a BU education was a privilege.

“Your years of study at BU were a luxury &- especially for those of you lucky enough to live in StuVi 2 &- and this luxury comes at a price,” he said. “From this day forward, you must do your part to improve the world around you. As of today, you not only have the ability and the credibility, you also have the responsibility.”

Holder also said there is much to learn from his late sister-in-law Vivian Jones’ example &- Jones was one of the first two black women to enroll at the University of Alabama in 1963. However, the pair was blocked from enrolling by then-Alabama governor George Wallace, only to be re-enrolled later with help from President John F. Kennedy.

“She serves as a reminder that each of us has the power to make a difference,” he said. “You, too, can help your fellow citizens. You, too, can improve the world we share and help to build a future we’ll be proud to pass on. As recipients of a first-class education, this is your duty.”

Holder also reached out to BU’s Class of 1970, who sat in the front rows.

“I love you all but these are my people,” he said, pointing to the Class of 1970.

President Robert Brown then ceremonially presented the Class of 1970 their degrees.

Nigel Durham, a College of Arts and Sciences Class of 2010 graduate, said he enjoyed Holder’s speech.

“I was really impressed that BU was able to get such a big name,” he said. “I think his speech had a lot of true statements . . . he had sort of a real understanding of BU, referencing Allston parties which was really funny.”

Durham said he thought the speech was inspiring because of its theme.

“In our society, there’s still a lot of issues that need to be dealt with,” he said. “And it’s up to students to solve those problems.”

Kerry Molloy, also a CAS graduate, said the graduation speech was unforgettable.

As much as people say they don’t remember their graduation speech, I’m confident I’ll remember parts of this one,” she said.

The part that stood out most, she said, was Holder’s emphasis on working as a community.

What really got me was how he focused on how there were a lot of trying times that we are going through now and emphasis on public service,” she said. “He was very motivational without being preachy, got a few good jokes in there.”

Molloy said she will miss BU and the college experience.

I’m going to miss just the freedom I had, I could be doing whatever I wanted to . . . not having to worry about paying for food every week, or worrying about rent,” she said. “I got to be myself, be a kid. I’m going to miss it all.

BU chemistry professor John Caradonna, music professor Sandra Niroluccui and engineering professor J. Gregory McDaniel were recognized for their careers as professors at BU.

Caradonna, Niroluccui both received Metcalf Awards for Teaching Excellence earlier this year and McDaniel received The Metcalf Cup and Prize.

“Passionate and inspired teaching Professors Caradonna, Nicolucci, and McDaniel recognized for holding it down in our classrooms,” Dean of Students Kenneth Elmore Tweeted during the commencement.

Holder, along with playwright Edward Albee, AIDS researcher Wafaa El-Sadr and Woods Hole scientist Osamu Simomura, received honorary degrees.

“Go out into the world and make it better,” Brown said to the graduates.

Staff writer Jaime Lutz contributed reporting to this article.