Behind BU Central?s doors: Get to know the managers

In the George Sherman Union basement, sandwiched between the Howard Thurman Center and Terrier Card Office, lies one of Boston University's gems: BU Central.

The space is home to students looking for a place to study, hang out, play billiards or watch live performances of acts ranging from music to comedy shows.

But BU Central and its events would not exist without its managers: School of Education junior Amanda DoAmaral and College of Communication junior Rose Milgrom.

"To be short and sweet, as managers, our job description is: everything BU Central," said DoAmaral. "We contract artists, book shows, schedule student group events, promote all of our events, run the daily venue operations, manage our staff and the list goes on."

The dynamic duo works a total of about 20-25 hours a week, DoAmaral said.

"I don't know what free time is, but it's totally OK," Milgrom said. "I actually like getting out of class and knowing I get to go to work. I love what I do."

Although the two didn't know each other before BU Central, they said they have become quite the team.

"I definitely cannot imagine doing all of these things with anyone else," DoAmaral said. "I can't wait to see what else we come up with and what other crazy things we will get ourselves into."

"BU Central might as well be my apartment and Amanda has basically become family," added Milgrom.

On Friday, about 1,500 BU students crowded Metcalf Hall to watch rap group Chiddy Bang perform. The line curled in and around the GSU as early as 5 p.m., three hours before the concert began.

Though the event was an overall success, DoAmaral and Milgrom had to make sure everyone was where they needed to be, fix any last minute issues and handle a large crowd, all amid Hurricane Earl.

"We have to make sure sound is loaded in, lights are ready, and the stage is set up," DoAmaral said. "Then the band needs to be taken good care of including finding the guests on their guest lists and filling their green room with lots of goodies. There is sound check, line/crowd control, and then finally, the show begins and you have to be aware of timing of sets and any sound or light issues."

"The days before a concert like Chiddy Bang can only be described as hectic," she added. "[They] are the most exciting, but also the most stressful."

However, all of their hard work paid off. During the concert, DoAmaral and Milgrom stood on the balcony, beaming at the crowd.

"From the first time we heard of Chiddy Bang to all of the last minute running around, all came together in such an exciting way," DoAmaral said. "We both looked on so proud of everything. I really loved that moment."

Milgrom agreed.

"The best part of my job is when I get to have those "proud mom' moments," she said. "It's the best to see someone get so excited about our events. It makes my job 10 times better."

BU Central's most popular events are its concerts, DoAmaral said.

In the past, artists such as Bo Burnham, Questlove and Tokyo Police Club have also performed.

The venue also hosts smaller events such as open mic and bingo nights.

But DoAmaral and Milgrom said all they accomplish wouldn't be possible without the eight BU Central employees who help everything go according to plan.

The staff works in the booth and office during the day and help run events on weekends. Each member also runs his or her own events throughout the semester, helps coordinate the street team and write for the BU Central blog, which is coming soon.

"We also have a very vibrant team of volunteers who help us with shows and with promotion," DoAmaral said.

College of Arts and Sciences junior Matt Duffy, a BU Central staff member, said he enjoys working with DoAmaral, Milgrom and the rest of the staff.

"The best part about working for Rose and Amanda is how quickly they took each of us in and made us part of a family," he said. "From the first day of training, we all were working great as a team and had become close friends."

Over the summer, under DoAmaral and Milgrom's management, BU Central got a new sound system, paint job, ceiling, floors, graffiti wall and booths.

Aside from the physical changes, DoAmaral said she hopes to make BU Central a venue that provides new music for BU students, "something they have never heard before."

"My hope is that someone will say, "well, Amanda told me about Chiddy Bang, and that concert was sick, so maybe I'll go check out AudioDax &' OnCue next month at BU Central,' she said. "That's how we'll sell out shows every time and that's how we will spread all of this awesome music around campus that will get everyone excited."