BU community celebrates Rosh Hashanah

The New Year may have started on Jan. 1 but for members of the Jewish faith, the New Year, or Rosh Hashanah, began Wednesday night.

The next 10 days mark a period of religious celebration and contemplation that will culminate with Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement.

Boston University students who practice Judaism cherished the start of the New Year for many different reasons.

"I've grown up Orthodox, and I studied in Israel, so it's something I've grown up with," College of Arts and Sciences freshman Tova Ramelson said. "It's hard to describe why it's so important...it's special because it's something Judaism has and that no other religion has...it's committing yourself to God, essentially."

With a significant Jewish population, BU marked the occasion through a variety of religious services and celebrations on campus.

The Hillel House organized three different services for reformed, conservative and orthodox Jews on campus, said CAS junior Gillian Mertens, an usher for the occasion.

"It gets a little bit chaotic," she said. "Multiple hundreds of people come for the first night of Yom Kippur. It's our biggest event."

Michael Lombardo, director of student activities at Hillel, explained that the holiday involves three major events, which consist of religious services, holiday foods and special programs, such as a wine and cheese social for graduate students.

"We average approximately 5,000 BU students, their families, and alumni," he said.

BU students filed into Hillel in order to partake in the festivities and shared their thoughts on the occasion.

College of General Studies freshman Leora Yashari traced the holiday's importance to family tradition.

"I come from a very Jewish background, so it's like a little bit of home, coming here for the service," she said. "I know my family is proud of me for doing this." School of Management sophomore Carlo Neumark viewed the holiday in a contemplative light.

"Besides being the New Year, it's a time to reflect and think about what I've done, good and bad, and how I can improve next year," he said.

CGS freshman Phoebe Gittelson said Rosh Hashanah is one of her most cherished holidays.

"I just like new year in any religion, so this one's my favorite," she said.