News, Politics

GOP blocks DADT repeal

Republicans senators prevented the debate of a defense bill that would have begun the path of repealing the "don't ask don't tell" policy on Tuesday.

The final vote saw 56 senators in favor of beginning debate on the bill and 43 opposed. Sixty votes were required for the bill to move forward, putting the vote four "yeas" short.

This means that for the bill to have passed, at least one Republican needed to vote for it. None did.

White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs criticized the Senate for blocking the bill in a press briefing.

"My sense is there is a tremendous frustration on the part of many involved that we hear all the time about the procedural hurdles that many Republicans want to throw into this process," Gibbs said in the press briefing.

"The president, obviously . . . supports the repeal of "don't ask, don't tell," Gibbs said.

Some gay advocates criticized Obama, however, for not taking a more prominent role in the debate.

Along with the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, the bill also includes the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act.

The DREAM Act, which was first introduced in 2001, would provide a path to citizenship for young adults who came to the United States as children.

The act enables eligible students to apply for a conditional six-year legal status, during which time they would be required to graduate from a two-year college, complete at least two years of a four year university or serve in military for two years.

Although the bill failed during Tuesday's vote, it will be voted on again after the November general elections. However, most observers said this vote effectively sounded a death knell for the measure in this congressional session.

Sen. Harry Reid, the Senate Majority Leader, expressed his disappointment in a press release.

"I am disappointed that my Republican colleagues put partisan politics ahead of the best interests of the men and women who courageously defend our nation," Reid said.

In order to bring the bill up at a later session of Senate, Reid changed his vote to "no."

Joe Solmonese, the president of the Human Rights Campaign, an organization which works for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender equal rights, conveyed their regret at the failing of the bill in a press release Tuesday.

"We still have a fighting chance to repeal DADT through Congressional action, but in the meantime, the best interests of our men and women in uniform &- as well as the country &- are served by doing everything we can do to get rid of this discriminatory law," Solmonese said.

"We expect the Justice Department to recognize the overwhelming evidence that proves DADT is unconstitutional," Solmonese added.