Somerville celebrates fluff fest

Fluff. In an era of wars, economic hardships and environmental disasters, it can be easy to overlook it.

Not so in Somerville, where more than 1,000 people gathered at the Union Square Plaza for the fifth annual "What the Fluff?" festival to celebrate the birthplace of everyone's second-favorite addition to a peanut butter sandwich.

"What the Fluff? A Tribute to Union Square Invention 2010," brought together artists, musical and theatrical performers, inventors, humorists and others to pay homage to the yummy treat at the very site where it was invented.

Marshmallow Fluff was invented in 1917 by Archibald Query in Union Square, according to the Union Square website.

Since 2006, people have come from far and wide to celebrate the wonders of the delicious treat and pay tribute to its inventor, the Union Square website said.

"We came to the Fluff Festival last year, and we decided to come back this year and check it out," said Linda Manganillo, a New Hampshire middle school teacher. "We came for fluff and fun, and it's close by. And it's my son's birthday, so we're celebrating that."

Manganillo's costume included a Whoopie pie hat and a wig.

Her husband, Dave, was dressed as a "Whoopie pirate."

"I think it's fun to enjoy street festivals, especially ones that are as cool as this one," he said. "We come every year in honor of our son, who loves fluff."

The festival had many different attractions for the different age groups in attendance.

There were booths for face painting, which was popular among the many young children who attended the festival.

Additionally, there was a booth for balloon hats, which many attendees wore during the festivities. And of course, the festival was dotted with dozens of vendors selling barbecue items and the fluff.

There were also many games and competitions that aimed to get the participants covered in marshmallow fluff.

This included a tug of war, in which the boys were pitted against the girls over a giant tub of fluff. There was also a bake sale and science fair devoted to subjects such as "The Adhesive Qualities of Fluff" and "Good Sports use Fluff."

However, the attraction that drew the biggest crowd was the workshop on how to make homemade fluff, and the subsequent competition afterwards to see who could make the best fluff.

All day at the festival, many attendees simply appreciated the absurdity of it all.

"I came because it's my first time at the Fluff festival, and it's a big thing in Massachusetts. I wanted to see what all of the excitement was about," said Melissa DeLucca, who came to the festival with her two dogs. "I don't eat fluff very often, but sometimes, you just want a good fluffernutter!"

"I think it's kind of bizarre," said Angela Hicks. "I just had to see what this was like. I'm surprised at how many people are here. And yes, I love fluff!"