Campus, City, News

Cahill sues former aid for alleged betrayal

Things just got ugly in the Massachusetts governor’s race.

In the wake Lt. Gov. candidate Paul Loscocco’s resignation from Independent Timothy Cahill’s campaign for governor, tensions have mounted for all players in the race.

Cahill filed a lawsuit Thursday accusing former strategists and aides who dropped out of the campaign in recent weeks of attempting to sabotage his candidacy by collaborating on the Loscocco defection and planning to give information and tactics to Republican candidate Charlie Baker’s campaign &- all while still on Cahill’s payroll.

Cahill’s lawsuit alleges Baker’s campaign manager Tim O’Brien and other staff members from the Republican Governors Association asked for negative information from the independent candidate’s former staff members.

It also accuses strategists from Cahill’s campaign of working to convince Loscocco to resign while still employed by Cahill’s campaign.

These allegations were based on a collection of emails included in the suit in which the defendants supposedly were in contact with the RGA.

The defendants include Adam Meldrum, Cahill’s former campaign manager, former campaign strategists John Weaver and John Yob, and Jordan Gehrke, the former political director for

Cahill’s campaign.

Following the filing of the lawsuit, Superior Court Justice Barbara A. Dortch-Okara, a judge at the Norfolk Superior Court, granted Cahill’s lawyers the right to a temporary restraining order for the defendants and ordered them to not to disclose anything they may have learned while working on Cahill’s campaign until the hearing on Wednesday.

Loscocco countered these charges in a statement he released Friday, saying that the treasurer had coordinated with the governor to take down Baker.

Patrick said during a press conference with Wicked Local that he thought the situation was nonsense.

“It’s creating a distraction from the distraction. I’m certain there’s no coordination between us and the Cahill campaign or the Baker campaign,” Patrick said.

Baker said that he had not given authorization to anyone in his campaign to try to acquire inside information from the Cahill campaign.