Editorial

STAFF EDIT: Rallying partisanship

President Barack Obama spoke at Hynes Convention Center on Saturday as part of a campaign rally in support of Gov. Deval Patrick’s re-election bid. But far from Obama’s previous calls for bipartisanship, his speech was largely focused on placing blame on the Republicans for the country’s economic recession. Obama accused Republicans of standing idly by during the recession, knowing that they’d be able to capitalize on voter dissatisfaction to gain seats in the legislature during the upcoming election.

Considering the speech was given at a Democratic rally in a high profile race, it is no surprise that Obama’s rhetoric would be strongly anti-Republican. After all, his purpose in speaking at the rally was to drum up Democratic support. Considering the importance of the mid-term elections, especially in the face of growing public support for Republicans, Obama needed to stir people up to convince them to vote for Patrick. However, although Obama’s passing of blame was expected, that doesn’t make it excusable.

We all know that Obama disapproves of the Republicans. If this wasn’t obvious already, it should have been made clear by the fact that he was at a rally stumping for Patrick at the time. But accusing the Republicans of purposefully allowing the recession to occur for political gain is both unfair and unfounded. To accuse a political party of deliberately allowing the worst economic recession in recent history to occur for political gain is far more than an exaggeration.

Just as sensible people nationwide criticized the Tea Party for using the concept of death panels, a complete distortion of the truth, as a scare tactic, people should similarly disregard Obama’s condemnation of the Republican Party, as it is nothing more than a complete distortion of reality used as a political calculation. His attempts to discredit his rivals in the same way that politicians have been doing for generations is disappointing for a president who was carried into office on promises of change.

The president of the United States should be able to rise above party politics and set an example for the people. Any criticisms he had of the Republican Party could have been made in a far more constructive and less accusatory way &- a stronger emphasis could have been placed on the merits of the Democratic Party rather than the faults of the Republicans.