City, Sports

W. soccer secures place in AE championships

No matter how dominating a team’s regular season is, the road of the playoffs is never easy.

The Boston University women’s soccer team found that out Sunday as they pulled off a narrow 2-0 victory over the University at Albany. Goals by junior midfielder Jessica Luscinski and freshman midfielder Kylie Strom secured the Terriers’ presence in a fourth straight America East final.

For the first 80 minutes, the game seemed destined for penalties. BU (15-5-0) dominated possession and shot totals &- as they have all year against America East competition &- but just couldn’t get a clear chance to put the ball in the net.

That all changed with a little bit of trickery from AE Striker of the Year Luscinski. The junior lined up for a free kick 25 yards out from the left side and sent in a ball that looked like a cross at first.

A few seconds later, the ball was in the net, and a sigh of relief was heard from the bench area. The masterful shot curled in past the outstretched hands of goalkeeper Breeanna Maggio, who was otherwise excellent on the day, and into the upper right corner of the net.

“On the free kick, I had a similar one against Hartford in that general area,” Luscinski said. “I know that if I kick it on frame, most likely I can get it in. I knew the wind was helping and I knew that there were players running near post to distract the goalie.”

The Terriers maintained possession for the rest of the half and brought the game to Albany’s (10-8-2) net. The visiting Great Danes did their best to take a bite out of BU’s plans, stacking the box with multiple players and overall playing a ferocious game.

Luscinski got the game’s first few chances. Good passing inside the box in the 13th minute led to two opportunities for the talented junior, who was not able to finish. Graduate student forward Lisa Kevorkian, the regular-season league leader with 13 goals, got the only other quality opportunity in the first half, one-timing a shot just wide in the 21st.

“Our anxiety was definitely building up in the first half,” said senior co-captain Corie Halasz. “There was a little bit of frustration not putting a goal in, since we’re used to getting up early and letting that confidence take us through the rest of the game. At halftime, we just talked about keeping us cool and enjoying the moment because it was going to happen to us, we knew it was just a matter of time.”

After the break, the story remained the same. BU controlled the play, but a disciplined Albany defense took away every inch in the box. A strike by Kevorkian in the 62nd minute went just wide and remained BU’s best opportunity until Luscinski broke through sixteen minutes later.

Luscinski’s goal seemed to unravel a previously patient Albany team. Costly defensive turnovers in the box allowed Strom to get a clear volley inside, lobbying the ball over Maggio for a 2-0 lead. Strom’s goal put the match out of reach and calmed fears of the dreaded penalty shootout amongst BU supporters.

“I would have expected to be there in the finals and we got this one out of the system,” said BU coach Nancy Feldman. “We were picked No. 1 and you could say there was a lot of pressure, and we were at home. I think now, pressure’s off. Win one game and we’re in the NCAA tournament.”

In the finals, the Terriers will face off against the University of Maine, who edged out Stony Brook University 3-1 in the other semifinal matchup.