BU has now beaten every AE team once

January has proved to be a perfect month for the BU women’s basketball team, which has won all of its in-conference games as it hits the midpoint in conference play.

The Terriers have faced every possible opponent from America East and defeated them all. Their most recent victory came against second-place Binghamton University at Agganis Arena.

This was BU’s closest game to date, as the Terriers only defeated the Bearcats by five points, 65-60.

“We definitely have a target on our backs,” said sophomore guard Mo Moran. “Every team is going to be gunning for us.”

The streak started back on Jan. 2 against University of Maine in Case Gymnasium, and the Terriers haven’t looked back since. They proceeded to beat every team in the conference by a double-digit margin until they faced off against University of Hartford, who they topped by eight points.

The team has thrived in the first half of conference play thanks to great defensive play. The Terriers have only allowed an average of 60.6 points per game this season, and the team’s overall play has really stepped up recently.

“Our defense has been outstanding, I think,” said sophomore guard Chantell Alford. “I think we just stepped up our defense and we have been talking a lot more.”

Sometimes the key to a good defense is a good offense, and the Terriers are the best in America East in that category. This offense is generated through great passing, as the Terriers lead the league in assists per game with 13.2. BU has scored an average of 62.7 points per game this season, which is a full two-and-a-half points more than the next team in the category, Stony Brook University. This total also gives them the second-best scoring margin in the league, behind only Binghamton.

One of the key components of the BU offense this season has been three-point shooting. They are second in the league in three-point shooting, behind only University of New Hampshire, and that facet of their game was crucial in their most recent win against Binghamton.

As the Terriers prepare to face their in-conference opponents once more in this final month of the regular season, they know that the 8-0 record does not make them invincible.

“We just have to keep our head on our shoulders and take it one game at a time,” Alford said.

An undefeated in-conference record is still possible for the Terriers. However, this is not the team’s primary goal.

“One of our goals is to finish first place,” BU coach Kelly Greenberg said. “Do I expect to go undefeated? No. That is not a goal of ours, to go undefeated. But we want to finish first.”