Sen. Kerry pushes forward gun control legislation in wake of Arizona shooting

In wake of the Jan. 8 Tucson shooting, legislators have been trying to pass a bill banning large capacity ammunition clips and legislation to ensure background checks before the sale of guns at gun shows.

Sen. John Kerry, Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of New York, all Democrats, sponsored the legislation.

“This package of common-sense gun safety bills would sail through Congress if it wasn’t for the special interest gun lobby,” Lautenberg said in a press release.

“It’s time to put aside business as usual in Washington, and start considering the safety of our families over special interests.”

From 1994 to 2004, the Federal Assault Weapons Ban prohibited the manufacture of assault weapons for civilian use. Multiple attempts to renew this ban have been made in previous years with no success.

After the Virginia Tech shooting in 2007, McCarthy tried to implement a similar bill that failed to pass because the shooter, Seung-Hui Cho, did not use a large capacity clip.

The perpetrator of the Tuscon shootings, Jared Lee Loughner, was reported to have used a high capacity ammunition clip, which became legal again in 2004.

The Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act would ban the possession, import or sale of high-capacity magazines able to hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition.

However, there are exceptions for those who possessed high-capacity magazines legally before the date of enactment and for possession by law enforcement officers.

“As a lifelong hunter, I know that no one is going to mess with the constitutional right to bear arms,” Kerry said in a press release last Tuesday.

“But rights come with responsibilities, and criminals and the mentally unstable do not have a right to avoid background checks or carry military style assault weapons.”

Kerry and Lautenberg are working to pass the Gun Show Background Check Act, which would require registration of gun show promoters and only allow licensed transfers of firearms.

This act would also allow the Attorney General to examine records and inventory at gun shows without a warrant in order to ensure compliance with this act.

“There is no legitimate reason not to close a loophole that allows criminals to get a gun with no background check or allow dangerous individuals access to military style assault weapons,” Kerry said.

The proposal for this act comes alongside a sting operation conducted by New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s office, who in an attempt to push for increased regulation authorized undercover investigators to attempt to buy semiautomatic pistols without passing a background check at a gun show in Arizona.

Bloomberg’s point was proven when the investigators were successful despite telling the gun sellers that they probably couldn’t pass a background check.

However, some still protest the possible legislation.

“Private citizens choose magazines that hold more than 10 rounds for the same reason police officers do: to improve their odds in defensive situations,” according to The National Rifle Association of America website.

On Jan. 18, the Large Capacity Ammunition Feeding Device Act was assigned to a congressional committee for consideration before it could be sent to the House or Senate.

“We need comprehensive reform to reduce the number of people hurt or killed by gunfire in America, but one simple way we can do that is by keeping the worst tools of mass murder away from the general public,” McCarthy said in a press release last Tuesday.

“It is a small sacrifice that law-abiding gun owners can make once again in order to increase everyone’s safety.”

Boston University students agreed that gun control is necessary.

“Even though some may argue against gun control, citing the constitutional right to bear arms, there needs to be protocol in place that prevents tragedies like the one in Tucson from happening again,” said Abigail Clauhs, a College of Arts and Sciences freshman. “This law isn’t taking away rights, its simply making it safer.”

Unless there is more responsible gun use, regulation should be in place, said College of Communication sophomore Evan Caughey.

“In our civilized society it is not necessary for people to carry around large capacity clips,” Caughey said. “Fewer regulations mean that there is more responsibility.”

However, some students disagree that while citizens should be required to have a license to own a gun, restricting the type of gun is too much.

“There should not be anyone getting out of jail and automatically being able to buy a gun. But the idea of only being allowed a small capacity ammunition clip is a little too big brother for me,” said Zach Barnard, a CAS sophomore. “People will find a way. Regulations not going to stop anyone form doing anything they want to do.”