O'DONNELL: O'Donnell on O'Donnell

Hello, fellow Miserable Monday victims! This week was packed with lots of political juiciness including the protests in Wisconsin, conflict over the federal budget with the threat of a government shutdown, Qaddafi’s steady spiral into powerlessness and slight insanity in Libya.

But I’m sick of writing about all of that, so ladies, it’s time to trade in those pant suits and “sensible pumps” for a saucy little sequin number because Christine O’Donnell is going on “Dancing With the Stars”! Get pumped!

For full disclosure, she hasn’t actually said yes yet, but the odds are looking good. The PR is just too good to turn down.

Christine posted on her Facebook page last Monday that she received the official DWTS invite, but was initially going to turn down the offer due to her “two left feet.” However, she revealed that she was seriously considering it days later when she opened up the discussion to her fans. Well, Christine, if you’re going to ask, then I’m going to answer.

I think Christine should absolutely go on DWTS. My rationale for this endorsement is that watching the show would give me a reason to actually look forward to Mondays/provide me with quality material for my blog. It would also improve the image of my home state of Delaware. I know this sounds close to impossible, but hear me out.

Delaware kind-of sucks. Our only claims to fame are Joe Biden, decent beaches, no sales tax and that Bob Marley lived in Wilmington for a hot minute. Delaware is widely known as the state that you drive through while on your way to a cooler place. We’ve always managed to be a place that people just kind of forget about and we’re okay with that. It’s our thing.

With the recent midterm elections, however, the state of Delaware was pushed into an unfavorable spotlight when Christine O’Donnell emerged from her lair to embarrass everybody in the political scene. In case you’ve forgotten, she was the crazy lady who thinks coed dorms encourage orgies and who confessed to dabbling in witchcraft when she was younger. This woman ran for senator, people.

As predicted, Christine lost by a huge margin, but the stink she left behind still follows Delawareans wherever we go, to Boston, for example. (Yes, I know we share the same last name and state, but no, we’re not related.)

If Christine goes on DWTS, maybe the First State’s reputation would improve. Yes, Christine is most likely a terrible dancer, but the show is no stranger to political actors making fools of themselves (recall Tom Delay shimmying in bellbottoms and Bristol Palin failing in a monkey suit).

Should Christine join the cast, the rest of the country would start to laugh with us, not at us. True, Christine would most likely say or do something dumb, but it would be OK because DWTS is all in good fun. Maybe Delaware will never be cool, but at least our lameness could be turned into a type of self-deprecating humor with the awkward execution of some goofy dance moves.

If the United States is a high school, Delaware has the chance to be the endearing class clown, instead of the weird kid in the corner who never speaks to anyone and draws pictures of dolphins in his notebook.

Another reason Christine should cha-cha onto the DWTS stage is that the decision would perpetuate my love/hate obsession with unqualified, crazy women in politics. I can’t seem to get enough of Christine because she has ridiculous opinions and is hilariously misinformed. As a liberal, I’m appalled, but as journalist, I’m fascinated. Watching her try to pull off the Paso Doble would be more entertaining than my brain can even imagine.

And just think of the backstage drama! Among the other celebrities rumored to be part of Season 12 are Kendra Wilkinson, Kirstie Alley, Wendy Williams and Faye Dunaway. Though the official cast list won’t be announced until tonight, the “stars” mentioned thus far seem like a dream team of insecurity and anger issues. Christine would be a raw steak thrown into a pit of hungry lions, and it would be fantastic TV with tons of behind-the-scenes gossip, as usual.

Christine would probably even have a good chance of winning. Bristol Palin already warmed up the Tea Party base last season. Christine could just ride the tidal wave of votes coming from those crazies. It’s a win-win situation!

If you’re as excited as I am about the possibility of Christine being on DWTS, the Season 12 cast list airs tonight on ABC after “The Bachelor.” Now if we could only get Sarah Palin in a pair of tap shoes…

Emily O’Donnell is a sophomore at the College of Communication and a weekly columnist for The Daily Free Press. She can be reached at emilyod@bu.edu.

1. i do believe that Delaware also had Bob Marley live there once. It is also on the top list for enemy country attacks. That has to mean something