International, News

BU alumnus among missing NYT journalists in Libya

Four New York Times reporters covering the violence in Libya have gone missing, The Times reported on Wednesday on its website.

Among them is Tyler Hicks, a Times war photographer and Boston University alumnus who graduated with a Journalism degree from the College of Communication in 1992.

In 2009, Hicks shared the Pulitzer Prize with other Times reporters and photographers for their coverage of the Afghan War.

The others missing are Anthony Shadid, Stephen Farrell and Lynesy Addario. Shadid is a foreign correspondent for the Times and a former Boston Globe reporter who was shot in the shoulder while covering the Middle East in 2002, according to The Boston Globe. He is also a two-time Pulitzer Prize winner.

Farrell is a reporter and videographer who has been kidnapped twice while covering conflicts in the Middle East, once in 2004 in Iraq and again in 2009 in Afghanistan. Addario is a photographer who has also covered convicts in the region for the Times, according to the Globe.

According toTthe Times, the reporters were last heard from on Tuesday from the town of Ajdabiya, where they were covering fighting between rebel forces and Libyan government soldiers. The Times could not confirm whether the reporters were captured by the Libyan government.