Students celebrate Persian New Year with a nod to culture

The Aftab dance group performs a modern Iranian dance at the BU Persian Club's Norouz cultural show on Friday. Photo by Abigail Lin/ DFP Photo Staff.

Though spring officially began on March 21, Boston University students and faculty members gathered in the College of General Studies auditorium on Saturday to celebrate the start of the season for Iranians in a celebration called Norouz.

Norouz, which translates to “new day,” and to an ancient Iranian tradition celebrating the nature’s rebirth each spring equinox, which marks the New Year on the Iranian calendar.

About 150 students gathered for the BU Persian Cultural Show, hosted by the BUPC.

The event featured performances that included modern and traditional Iranian dances from the Aftab Dance Group, a presentation on Norouz by professor of International Relations Houchang Chehabi, a comedy film written and produced by BUPC and many other acts.

The film depicted exaggerated customs of the Persian-American culture and was used as an inspiration to continue the Norouz tradition at BU next year, said BU Persian Club president Sherwin Erfani, a College of Arts and Sciences senior.

“This year’s BUPC e-board has been committed to reviving this tradition and the community on campus, and the show will be a reflection of that,” Erfani said. “In previous years, everyone went separate ways, but now we choose to unite to celebrate together.”

Erfani said Saturday’s celebration grew out of an informal, traditional meal for about 40 people to celebrate Norouz in BU Central.

“This is a good uniting event because for people away from home, Norouz is really the only holiday, or at least the most important,” Erfani said. “Everyone who is homesick will enjoy this reflection of our culture.”

BU Persian Club vice president and CAS senior Shiva Bolourchi said that other universities in Boston have had annual Norouz celebrations for years, and that as a major university, BU should partake in the tradition.

“We have many informal events throughout the year, but a formal presentation of talents and a celebration of our New Year is a key component to any organization,” Bolourchi said.

Students at the show said they were interested in learning about Persian culture.

“It’s good to learn about different cultures,” said Marrisa Noori, a sophomore in the Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences.

“I was intrigued, and I’m excited to see the dancers, see a little Persian calligraphy, see the Persian interpretation of Persian comedy and I guess to experience the rich cultures of the east,” said Trevor Burns, a freshman at Northeastern University.

Bolourchi said the show met the club’s expectations.

“We just hoped that an event like this would draw Persians and non-Persians in the area to unite and take pride in the history and traditions of our culture,” Bolourchi said.