STAFF EDIT: Too much emotion in motion

Nearly one decade after the 9/11 attacks, promoters of anti-Islamic maintain their prevalence in America in the form of evangelical pastors and churches. Terry Jones, a minister based in Gainsville, Fla. and one of the nation’s foremost anti-Islam figures, became notorious in 2010 because of his intention to burn more than 200 Korans.

Although an outpouring of public indignation prevented Jones from going ahead with the demonstration, the power of his hatred has only continued to manifest itself through the deaths of at least 21 people in riots in Afghanistan on Friday and Saturday.

In response to Jones’ words on Islam, protesters went to the United Nations compound Friday to seek revenge. According to The New York Times, three mullahs riled up the angry mob and compelled listeners to take action. Attacks continued Saturday in Kandahar, nothing more than misguided, horrific attempts at relaying anger to a man whose authority only exists on the basis of infamy. None of the deceased were American.

Jones’ appropriation of the Koran – that it is based in violence, death and terrorism – is outdated and based in ignorance. The Afghan mob’s intent to express their fury through random killings is equally obsolete. Unfortunately, meeting hate with hate only intensifies emotional responses from both sides and negates logical thought. The encouragement of unbridled passion is growing in America and the Middle East to the detriment of citizens’ safety and integrity.

There are times in which passion can serve a true purpose. The revolution in Egypt proved that peaceful intent and dedication to a cause has the potential to effect good change.

But random outbursts of unchecked emotion, whether through the burning of 200 Korans or the murder of innocent people, are simply examples of barbaric deeds. They serve no larger purpose except to promote bigotry.

In response to whether he felt responsible for the violence in Afghanistan, Jones said that his plan to burn Korans was “intended to stir the pot.”

But stirring the pot, an increasingly popular tactic used by extremists such as the members of the Westboro Baptist Church, can’t be allowed at the expense of human lives.