Couric addresses importance of social media at forum

Being able to write well and having a tenacious attitude are the best skills a fledgling journalist can have, anchor Katie Couric said on Monday.

Couric and  Jonathan Tisch, co-chairman of the board of Loews Corporation, discussed the role of social media in journalism at the  sixth annual Edward R. Murrow Forum on Issues in Journalism at Tufts University.

“It’s a thrill to see all these fresh, young faces,” Couric said to a crowd of about 400 before she went on to discuss her college career.

During this year’s forum, titled “Watching the News: Broadcasting, Webcasting, and Forecasting,” Tisch interviewed Couric about various topics, from her own days as an undergraduate at the University of Virginia to her notorious interviews with 2008 Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

An ability to write well under pressure and her experience working on her college newspaper both led Couric to pursue a career in journalism.

“I didn’t know what I wanted to do at first,” Couric said. “I’ve always loved to write though.”

Couric said her father, who was also a journalist, served as a mentor to her when she was younger and helped her gain internships with radio stations, which cemented her decision to pursue a career in journalism

Couric said she started off as a desk assistant and worked her way up.

“Make sure people notice you,” she said on getting advice.

Tisch asked Couric about her interviews with Palin, citing them as a change of course for the 2008 presidential elections.

“I wanted it to be revealing,” Couric said of the interviews.

Social media added to the impact of those interviews because of sites such as YouTube making the interviews constantly available, Couric said.

“I try to embrace new media,” she said, adding that she liked connecting with viewers through social media such as Twitter and YouTube.

Couric, who has covered the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and the recent unrest in Egypt, said she always considers the risks of reporting in dangerous locations.

“I try to exercise caution and be responsible,” Couric said. “I evaluate each situation on a case by case basis.”

Couric said she was most afraid for her safety on her recent trip to Egypt during the anti-Mubarak riots.

Tisch went on to ask of Couric’s plans following her contract expiration with CBS this June.

Couric laughed and said she remains unsure of her future plans and is still weighing her options.

Couric’s new book, “The Best Advice I Ever Got,” which is composed of a collection of essays from interviews with notable public figures such as Meryl Streep and Alex Rodriguez, comes out today.

The proceeds from the book go to Scholarship America, a nonprofit scholarship organization.

“I think it’s an ideal way to pay it forward,” Couric said.

Tisch finished by asking Couric what one piece of advice she would give to college students.

“To thine own self be true,” Couric said, quoting Shakespeare’s “Hamlet.” “Listen to your inner heart.”