NCAA, Sports

Upperclassmen athletes earn annual awards

On Tuesday, 10 Boston University athletes were honored at BU’s annual student-athlete awards reception held at the Metcalf Trustee Center.

Men’s basketball senior forward John Holland was named the Mickey Cochrane Award winner as the top male athlete, while women’s soccer senior defender Corie Halasz earned the Mildred Barnes Award, given to the top female athlete on campus.

Graduate students Lisa Kevorkian (women’s soccer) and Catherine Ward (women’s hockey) shared the Gretchen Schyler Award, which is given every year to the top female scholar-athlete at BU. Senior swimmer Bryon Kallert, the top male scholar-athlete, collected the E. Ray Speare Award.

Softball senior outfielder April Setterlund garnered the 2011 BU Woman of the Year Award, which recognizes the female student-athlete who “best exemplifies a commitment to service, leadership, athletics and academics.”

Junior John Hall (wrestling) and senior forward Holly Lorms (women’s hockey) picked up the John B. Simpson Award, presented to a male and female athlete for their “enthusiastic senior leadership.”

Alex Thornton (women’s rowing) and senior Krystyn McIntyre (women’s basketball) picked up the Student-Athlete Service Award.