Other, Sports

Former NFL player had CTE before death, BU MED says

The Boston University School of Medicine announced on Monday that Dave Duerson, a former National Football League safety who committed suicide last February, had “moderately advanced” brain damage that was directly related to repeated blows to the head that he sustained during his playing career.

The findings, as part of an effort conducted by the school’s Center for the Study of Traumatic Encephalopathy, revealed that Duerson indeed suffered from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a disorder linked to repeated brain trauma.

Duerson played in the NFL for 11 seasons and had a decorated career that included four Pro Bowl appearances and a Super Bowl title in 1986 while he was a member of the Chicago Bears’ famed 3-4 defense.

On Feb. 17, Duerson’s body was discovered in Sunny Island, Fla., with a gunshot wound in his chest. Beside his body was a note requesting that his brain be given to the NFL Brain Bank for study and examination. Presumably, Duerson had shot himself in the chest so as to preserve his brain for scientific research.

It was reported by Duerson’s family that he had sustained at least 10 concussions during his NFL career, losing consciousness during some, yet he was never admitted to the hospital in any of the instances.

His brain was given for examination to the CSTE Brain Bank, a bank that has brains from more than 70 military veterans and athletes, with football players comprising more than half of the athletes.

1. RIP Dave. You will never be forgotten.