Basketball, NCAA, Sports

Chambers to take coaching job at Penn State

Sources indicate that Penn State University will likely hire Boston University head men’s basketball coach Patrick Chambers to be the Nittany Lions’ next coach, MSG and CBS Network college basketball Jon Rothstein tweeted Thursday.

Amid this swarm of rumors surrounding the head coaching vacancy at Penn State, Chambers recently had agreed to a contract extension in early May to remain at BU through the 2015-16 campaign.

Chambers, who just completed his second season as the Terriers’ bench boss, owns a career 42-28 record, with two postseason tournament appearances, including a berth in the 2011 NCAA Tournament.

Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports tweeted that, per his sources, Chambers has not yet been offered the job, but that he is “in the mix.” ESPN’s Andy Katz reported yesterday that no decision has been made, but that Penn State has narrowed its finalists for the job down to Chambers and University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee coach and Pittsburgh-native Rob Jeter, stating that both candidates have already interviewed for the position.