Community, Weeklies

The campus is a-changin’: This fall, students will have to reacquaint themselves with BU thanks to new course additions, campus construction and culinary expansion

Keeping with its constantly changing atmosphere, Boston University administators stayed busy implementing a number of changes over the summer in academics, residences and student life. From program offerings and courses to intellectual discussions, the campus is expected to present a fresh set of new experiences for students.

No Need to be 

Saved By The Bell

CAS AM 363: Surfing and American Culture

Ever wonder where surfing originated? This course, taught by  American studies professor William Moore, aims to bridge the gap between a distant Polynesian culture and the global multi-billion industry of surfing that has shaped the American identity. American diversity and identity are also discussed at length.

EN 130: Science & Literature

Taught by English professor Maurice Lee, the course deals with themes such as technology and scientific phenomena in American literature. The course is meant to show the convergence of classics and science fiction novels from Mary Shelley’s “Frankenstein” to Jules Vern’s “20,000 Leagues Under The Sea.”

PO 309: America at War:

The Response to 9/11

The course delves into the events that shaped a generation, starting with the fall of the World Trade Center. America’s political decisions, relations with Middle Eastern nations and military strategies are discussed, among other aspects of the wars against terrorism. The course is taught by Douglas Kriner, the chair of the Political Science Department.

DR 510: 

African American Drama

Students will explore theatre of African and African Americans from the United States, the Caribbean and West Africa. Texts will be placed in their global historical context and in the context of Western drama from classical antiquity to the present.

PDP HE 103: 

Body Project

Brought to you by Sargent College and the Center for Psych Rehab, the course is a for-credit, four-session workshop offered to students. Students will discuss weight, self-esteem and media influence, among other topics.

A Minor Change

The College of Communication’s new minors include Journalism, Film & TV and Communication. Assistant Dean Micha Sabovik said taking up a minor in COM would greatly benefit “motivated students who have a passion for communication,” including current COM majors, provided that they fulfill their CAS concentration/minor. Students may declare the minor after taking either CO 101 or CO 201. COM majors must declare a minor outside of their current department.

More Food For You

at the GSU 

Bowls Oust Burritos

The Union Court replaced Caprito Burrito with Bowls and Rolls, which sells Vietnamese pho noodles and sushi made to order. The venue offers choices of broths and toppings for sushi, sashimi and tempura.

Breakfast at Rhett’s

Rhett’s has begun serving breakfast starting at 7 a.m. every morning. The expansion includes a merge between the breakfast service and Aesop’s, which will now be served at Rhett’s. Aesop’s former location is now extra seating.

Good Times at “Good Talks”

Ever wish you could sit and have lunch with your idol? The Howard Thurman Center has launched “Good Talk,” which will showcase casual conversations between students and notable people such as MTV’s Georgia Arnold, the Enough Project’s John Predergast and The Boston Globe’s Tracy Jan.

Celebrities, leaders and other guests will come to BU in an effort to help students explore their personal passions as well as their professional passions. Assistant Director Raul Fernandez said “Good Talks” proves, contrary to common belief, that esteemed  figures do have the time to sit down and talk to someone else who’s passionate about what they do.

“It really fits what we do at the Howard Thurman Center,” he said. “We’ve been trying to create much more intimate opportunities for students,” he said. “My hope is that there are going to be relationships established here.”

Students must apply to be eligible to meet with guests. The center will post applications on its website on Monday, Sept. 12 for the first guests.

A Newer, Greener Sleeper

A year after Claflin Hall’s facelift, Sleeper Hall received new wardrobe units, doors, lighting and floor and wall finishes for its 316 rooms, said Project Manager Jeffrey Hoseth. Ninety-one point nine percent of the waste material from the Sleeper Hall project was recycled.

According to the Facilities, Management & Planning website, carpets were manufactured from recycled materials and energy efficient lighting was implemented.

“I think it’s definitely appreciated,” Hoseth said. “The original buildings were built in the 1960s. The old wardrobes and finishes mostly date back to that.”

West Campus renovations are expected to be completed after Summer 2012, most notably Rich Hall. Renovations at Warren Towers will follow the year after.

Pimp My Ride

Following a partnership between BU Parking & Transportation Services and Academy Bus in June, the BU buses began using larger buses with “more prominent BU branding,” according to a BUPTS blog post. Service updates are now made via Twitter, Facebook and email.

East Campus Student Center: 

Work-in-Progress

Construction for the six-story student hub will begin in the winter and, upon its completion, will bring resources such as Fitness and Recreation Center and Student Village to East Campus.

The center will have “state-of-the-art dining” as well as resources for advising, career services and tutoring, said BU spokesman Colin Riley.

“We expect it to become a bustling destination for students when it opens next fall,” he said.

1. I was under the impression that Graham Wilson was the Chair of the Political Science Department. Also, the 9-11 class is being taught by Neta Crawford in addition to Kriner.