Campus, International, News

Piñera promotes positive image of Chile, new world government in speech

To prevent future global crises, the international community needs a reform of world governments, said Chilean President Sebastián Piñera at a lecture at the School of Management on Friday.

Piñera, who addressed an audience of about 400 people, reflected on what he called the economic accomplishments of his nation and its plans for further development.

“We need to have new kind of world government, and we don’t have it,” he said in the lecture. “All of the organizations – the United Nations, the World Bank, the [International Monetary Fund] and many others – were created at the Second World War, and they respond to a world that doesn’t exist.”

Chile’s economy is very open, with free trade agreements in place with 58 countries – 80 percent of the world’s population, Piñera said.

“Chile has a negative public debt,” he said. “We are traders of the world, not debtors.”

“He is a president different from the other leaders of South America,” said SMG graduate student Carlos Huerta, vice president of marketing of the Boston University Latin American MBA Association. “I admire his ability to engage the people. It is a privilege to have him.”

Piñera said he was interested in forming a strong relationship between Chile and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with a focus on green energy, biotechnology and education.

“I have invited [Gov. Deval Patrick] to visit Chile, and I hope we will be able to sign what could be a very fruitful, long-term strategic alliance between Massachusetts and Chile,” he said.

Piñera was elected in March 2010, in the wake of the record-setting earthquake and tsunami, as well as the triumph of the Chilean miners. Despite the turbulence of the past year, Piñera said he is committed to build his nation and “start a new era in Latin America.”

After his speech, Piñera displayed a short video detailing his rise to power, the resiliency of the Chilean people amidst historic national disasters and Chile’s goals for the future.

“It was a strong speech, but he didn’t acknowledge the problems,” said School of Law student Yoab Bitran. “The video only showed the good parts. He could be a little more sincere.”

The video was followed by a question and answer session, in which one audience member asked about Piñera’s low approval ratings and figures regarding military spending.

“Well, your figures aren’t updated,” he said, responding to the question. “A president has to decide whether he will work for the polls or for the country and the people.”

1. please include the whole story when writing an article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8CsrBazDPs