Lights, camera, action: Boston to become new Tinseltown

Some of the R.I.P.D. production crew and cast filmed scenes on the corner of Boylston and Exeter Street on Sept. 28. R.I.P.D. is the 28th movie to be filmed in Boston since 2006. AMANDA SWINHART/DFP Staff

Star struck fans have been swarming downtown Boston to get a peek of the film set of “R.I.P.D.,” a Universal Pictures film starring Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges, that began shooting in the city last week. But the film is not the first to make the Hub its filming grounds.

“R.I.P.D.” will be the 28th movie to be filmed in Boston since 2006, according to The Boston Film Bureau. It joins the ranks of films such as “The Departed” (2006), “Gone Baby Gone” (2007), “Shutter Island” (2010), “The Town” (2010) and “The Social Network” (2010).

The number films shot in the city between 2006 and 2011 is more than double the 12 that were shot in Boston between 2000 and 2005.

In 2005, a bi-partisan film tax credit law, which was put in place by former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney, led to the increase in number of films. Gov. Deval Patrick made subsequent upgrades to that law in 2007.

The law states that studios, producers and filmmakers are eligible for a tax credit equal to 25 cents for every new dollar of spending they bring to Mass. if they create at least half of the film in the state.

“Boston is an attractive location because it’s. . .attractive,” said Charles Merzbacher, an associate film professor in Boston University’s College of Communication, in interview. “It has a distinctive look and has neighborhoods that represent a wide variety of styles and eras.”

In addition to being a source of revenue for the city during a recession, the film boom has provided film students with opportunities related to their craft.

“Students get the benefit of observing professional film productions up close,” Merzbacher said. “Although their schedules are usually very booked up, we’ve been able to get some of the filmmakers to visit BU while filming here, which is another welcome benefit.”

He said, however, that films in Boston do not necessarily mean work experience for students here.

“When people hear that a film shoot is coming to town, the natural tendency is to think that this will yield lots of production assistant jobs for our students,” he said. “In truth, that never pans out.”

These productions need people who can commit to 70-hour weeks, he added.

“There is no way a student can work on a major production and attend classes,” he said. “Therefore, the chief beneficiaries of the upswing in production are our alumni.”

Film student Noah Eberhart, a junior in COM, said he has noticed the increased film activity around the city.

“I haven’t reaped any of the benefits yet, but there certainly could be some excellent benefits down the road,” he said. “More film in Boston means more opportunity to observe and, more importantly, take part.”

As Eberhart said, residents of the city can also appreciate a more sentimental aspect in the rise of film in Boston. They have the opportunity to see themselves represented on the big screen.

“It’s nice that Hollywood can provide a taste of Boston to the masses,” Eberhart said. “So many films are set in New York and L.A., and while those are great places, Boston and the people who live here have their own unique texture that can add a lot to a film.”

1. It is the best time to make a few plans for the future and it’s time to be happy. I’ve read this submit and if I may just I want to counsel you few attention-grabbing issues or suggestions. Maybe you can write subsequent articles referring to this article. I wish to read even more issues about it!