MAHDI: Jobs, Hope and Cash

Free speech. An infamous cornerstone of American democracy, and one of the nation’s distinguishing attributes. No matter how dire a scenario seemed, inhabitants of this vast landmass wanted to build their country on expression and exchange. Admirably, it is this spirit that has given rise to lively debate, thoughtful dialogue and a forum for the rise of inventive progress. I will eternally remember sitting in a bustling office attempting to emotionally decode shocking news: Steve Jobs had died at 56-years-old. So did my Apple Macbook as I finished reading CNN’s initial coverage. I could sense a deeper silence as the hard drive shut down.  I found solace days afterward, as free speech was celebrated and exercised in messages expressing inspiration, compassion and thanks.  Not one of us failed to recognize the profundity of what he created to perpetuate modern society.

Simultaneously, America has lay witness to a different manifestation of free speech. Hundreds have taken to the streets across America as a result of the Occupy Wall Street movement. Will this outpouring of disgruntlement go down in history along with the likes of the Suffragettes and those against the Vietnam War? Are people taking to the streets in search of reassurance as a desperate attempt to grapple with some form of control in a spiraling economic situation?

A far cry from apples lining Apple storefronts in a message of grief, I witness messages of frustration. However, I will not dwell on technicalities. The individual or mob motivation for taking to Wall Street is multi-faceted. Perhaps it would be wise to heed words of warning on assuming that the condemnation of an industry will bring about widespread prosperity.

When the financial crisis first hit, there was an outcry to denounce the banking world. When Murdoch’s empire fell as a result of the phone hacking debacle, a similar outcry erupted to denounce journalism. Let us not be activists for pure activism’s sake. Understandably, how society currently functions is being battered by waves of discontent. Protest seems to be the only channel of expression left for countless citizens who feel marginalized and hopeless.

Yet, in a bizarre twist of events, Monday afternoon saw Kanye West emerge amidst protestors. He remained silent and stone faced, a collection of necklaces draped around his neck and clothed in designer jeans. A man who one would assume was contrary to the protests provided a paradox questioning what exactly everyone was protesting. Nick Carbone of TIME Magazine aptly reported, “Though perhaps we’re getting ahead of ourselves. It’s challenging to predict what the celebrities want when the protesters haven’t even clarified their own demands.”

This search for concrete, rational action does not begin and end with Wall Street. Europe’s economic future hangs in a precarious position regarding a possible bailout. Faced with imminent turmoil, how do you begin to draft a plan, or make crucial judgments to save the world? Doom and gloom persists as we watch and wait for decisive change. When confronted with such an array of socioeconomic strife, unorthodox decisions are an inevitable consequence. Oxford University may be engaged in designing a prototype for a self-driving car, but we cannot afford to shift into auto-drive while protestors lie in wait for progress to be made.

Free speech. Encompassing hushed whispers and brash cries, it manifests itself in unexpected ways. To Marni Kotak, an artist from Brooklyn, freedom of expression has gifted her the right to have her baby in front of an audience in a gallery; she claims that everyday life is an art in itself and must be appreciated as such. What exactly Kotak aims to gain from this shocking exhibit is difficult to fathom, but she has an opportunity to branch out into the unimaginable.

Skimming daily headlines and the wider web, I found a quotation that made me contemplate whether we have progressed in any way but technologically. “Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now, we have no jobs, no hope, and no cash.”

For us to be disheartened will be the easy way out. The solutions do not lie in the bubbling lava of rising tempers or brash exclusion. In Caracas, Venezuela, the government has hired mimes to regulate traffic. These silent performers in loud outfits regulate the manic traffic flow in a bustling South American city. Faces masked in paint, actions speak louder than a torrent of words. Bizarrely enough, maybe a novel traffic regulation experiment can serve as a microcosm of how we behave in tough times. In the noisy traffic of our complaints, we can’t afford to mute or alienate those in authority. This week, we mourned the loss of Steve Jobs because amongst the torrid backdrop of history, he refused to allow a flash of brilliance to go unnoticed. Surely the stage is once again set for a flash of brilliance to blaze a trail once more.

Sofiya Mahdi is a sophomore in the College of Arts & Sciences and a weekly columnist for The Daily Free Press. She can be reached at sofiya21@bu.edu.

1. Sofiya: You cover quite a bit of territory in your article.

Allow me to highlight a few of your comments relative to free speech and the Occupy Wall Street movement:

1). “The individual or mob motivation for taking to Wall Street is multi-faceted. Perhaps it would be wise to heed words of warning on assuming that the condemnation of an industry will bring about widespread prosperity. ”

2). “Let us not be activists for pure activism’s sake.”

3). “Will this outpouring of disgruntlement go down in history along with the likes of the Suffragettes and those against the Vietnam War?

I believe the answer to your question above is “no,” because as you seem to imply in 1). and 2). above, the Occupy Wall Street masses, unlike the Suffragettes and the anti-Vietnam War movement, lack a single-minded, cohesive purpose.

When questioned by reporters concerning why they are there, few among the protesters appear capable of articulating a cogent response.

In addition, the heavy involvement of unions, “paid protesters,” “MoveOn.org” and others possessing political agendas among the crowds muddies the waters, overriding not only the disgruntled spirit and frustrations of individual participants–it further reduces the possibility that any realistic “solutions” may develop from this movement.

Solutions are not forthcoming without clarity of communication.

Suffragettes and anti-Vietnam War protesters had clear messages: “Give women the right to vote”–and “end the war.”

Sofiya, you raise many interesting questions–and write with “flashes of brilliance ” and insight which certainly have not gone unnoticed.

Continue to blaze your trail. I wish you the best.

Cordially,
    John
    _____________________________
    John A. Fallone
    President & CEO
    Traininguru

2. Outstandingly entertaining cheers, I think your trusty readers could perhaps want a great deal more articles along these lines carry on the good work.