BU Facilities plans to remove asbestos in School of Theology building by Fall 2012

Boston University officials say that they plan to have the asbestos in the School of Theology removed by the fall of 2012. RACHEL SCHOWALTER/DFP STAFF

As Facilities Management and Planning moves along with a window replacement project at the School of Theology building, the department is continuing efforts to remove asbestos from the building’s windows, officials said.

The Facilities Management team and Boston University Environmental Health and Safety determined that some of the windows contained caulked asbestos after it started its window replacement project in August, said Operations and Services Assistant Vice President William Walter in an interview.

The project, which now involves removing any traces of asbestos, is scheduled to be completed by fall 2012, Walter said.

Identifying a work area and labeling waste are some of the requirements that asbestos abatement workers have to follow, leading the school to place caution tape warnings in the back of the building.

“As asbestos is highly regulated, I suspect that the signage observed by the students was warning signage to keep people out of the work zone,” Walter said.

BU spokesman Colin Riley said no safety concern exists as long as the materials are undisturbed and the asbestos is removed properly.

“Whenever you are dealing with a campus that has buildings that are as old as ours at Boston University, asbestos is a very common material,” Riley said.

The Facilities Management team began the window replacement project in August, replacing original window glass with thermopane glazing, Walter said.

“This work will improve the classrooms and offices by reducing heat loss and noise,” he said.

Asbestos is comprised of “numerous naturally-occurring fibrous minerals” that were once used with numerous building materials, according to BU’s Environmental Health Services website. Asbestos is no longer used for new building construction due to its association with a number of illnesses, though it only poses a risk when the material containing asbestos fibers is damaged or exposed.

EHS approved all abatement contractors and their work plans to complete the work and oversee the treatment through an independent industrial hygienist who inspects work practices, Walter said. EHS works with Facilities and Management to identify materials that may contain asbestos and oversee the approved abatement contractors’ work.

Riley said that enclosing the area with sheeting is part of the process to keep asbestos material contained.

“When handled properly, there is no danger or safety concern to the university community,” Riley said. “Students should know that this is not an unusual circumstance and licensed workers are handling it professionally.”

Brian Julian, a Graduate School of Arts and Sciences student who spends time in the STH building, said he knows professors who have had to switch classrooms due to the construction, but that he has not been affected personally.

Lesley Moreau, the STH senior program coordinator, said the Facilities Management team replaced the windows in her office overnight after she moved her furniture six feet away from the window. Moreau said she believes the asbestos abatement has not affected anyone.

“We haven’t had any problems or anything. It’s been relatively smooth,” Moreau said. “The asbestos situation is somewhat alarming, but the university is obviously taking the necessary precautions to quarantine the offices while they take care of the removal.”