STAFF EDIT: General Studies

When students embark on the journey that is their four years in college, many are torn between majors, classes, and what they want out of both. Navigating between such different paths is usually overwhelming, and many seek programs that allow for additional guidance in making such a decision. Boston University’s College of General Studies offers a program that incorporates liberal arts and foundation courses designed for a smaller classroom setting. And it’s gaining popularity amongst many applicants who are displaced by a highly competitive pool of applicants that increases every year.

The general studies alternative is certainly beneficial in allowing a wider pool of students to attend BU, and the concept is gaining traction in other school as well. According to a Jan. 20 article in The New York Times, Emory, New York University and Texas A&M all offer similar two-year general studies programs. Nevertheless, a continued ambiguity regarding CGS has oftentimes misled college applicants. Believing that the college is primarily for undecided majors, there are a certain percentage of students who apply to the school without full knowledge of what it entails, and furthermore its reputation amongst other students on campus.

Unfortunately, for students who do have a concrete idea of what they want to study, the program does detract valuable time pursuing of a major. Some conclude that in a university filled with specialized schools and a College of Arts and Sciences, an additional general studies college is redundant. Financially, a general studies program is much more expensive than the community college associate’s degree alternative. However, according to a Jan. 23 article in The Daily Free Press, students in CGS conclude that while the program may not seem conventionally challenging, it is equally rigorous as other schools at BU.

Inevitably, maintaining the program brings benefits of a wider number of successful applicants and additional tuition payments to the university. For some applicants, it provides a foundation and an additional route to procuring a degree from the university of their choice, despite their academic qualifications being less competitive than others. For others, it is perceived as an unnecessary academic addition to campus. For now, trends indicate that general studies are here to stay.

1. I’m a supporter of liberal arts schools and small classrooms. Of course, the University is a business and bringing in more applicants obvilously is more money to the University. With more money, they can offer additional facitlities that they couldn’t otherwise.