Film & TV, The Muse

The Dog Days Are Over: An Interview with “The Artist’s” Uggie

I have always prided myself on my innate and infallible ability to communicate with canines. Far more formidable than any National Geographic host, I can somehow interpret a pooch’s every bark, yelp, and howl. No, I am not deluded; it’s something in their eyes . . .

Blessed with such a divine gift, I attempted a pilgrimage to meet the Jack Russell Uggie, star of my favorite film of 2011, the critically acclaimed The Artist. After innumerable unanswered press inquiries, all the result of human, and not canine, error, I finally received the answers to my interview questions when I saw Uggie featured on television several nights ago. It was something in his eyes . . .

Michela Smith: How does it feel to be the most famous dog in the world right now?

Uggie: It’s pretty overwhelming! I feel like I’ve been running in circles, jetting from one press junket to the next and the reporters can be real autograph hounds.  But I’m totally cap-kibble, I’m a professional, after all.

MS: What was it like on the set of The Artist?

Uggie: Ahh, they worked me like a dog! I sometimes worked for over fifteen hours a day. And because the film was silent, they blasted the soundtrack during shooting on these huge subwoofers that hurt my ears. I’m very proud to have been a part of the film, but I think I should’ve received a bone-us.

MS: How was working with your costar, Jean Dujardin?

Uggie: Fabulous! I happen to speak French Bulldog too, so we got along quite well. That said, I did keep him on a pretty short leash, nearly put the Pavlov’s Dog treatment on him. You know how pedigrees can have egos . . .

MS: In contrast to your great relationship with Jean Dujardin, The Artist writer and director, Michel Hazanavicius, hasn’t said the nicest things about you . . .

Uggie: Michel gets me all hot under the collar! We have a bone of contention over the ethics of one particular scene in The Artist. But I guess you can’t bite the hand that feeds you…

MS: Since The Artist’s release, an Internet campaign entitled, “Consider Uggie,” has swept across the Internet, petitioning The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences to nominate you for an Oscar. Thoughts?

Uggie: Aww, I love all of this puppy love. But seriously, Academy, throw me a bone here. It isn’t every day that an old dog learns new tricks like this…

MS: What do you say to critics who prefer Cosmo, the Jack Russell in 2011’s Beginners to your performance in The Artist?

Uggie: Those sly dogs! They ought to be muzzled! In all seriousness, though, Cosmo did give a fabulous performance in Beginners. We’re actually close friends and often play ball together.

MS: Will we see you in other films in the future?

Uggie: I think you’re barking up the wrong tree here, Michela. It’s time for me to retire and while the decision is a bit melon-collie, I’m excited for this new leash on life.

MS: Thanks for speaking with me today, Uggie!

Uggie: Woof.