STAFF EDIT: Apple TV?

Apple has galvanized the world of technology, music and communication with its range of products; owning an iPhone or an iPad is not merely a matter of what it does, but how great it looks. Steve Jobs rose to infamy as millions made the switch from other operating systems to Macintosh computers. As the company broadened its horizons, his company completely transformed the music industry with the advent of iTunes and the iPod. Apple consequently became one of the most valuable companies in the world, consistently growing and adapting to changing markets. Before Jobs passed away, rumors stirred over Apple’s next big project. Having dominated the communications market, where could Apple possibly go from here?

Allegedly, television is now in Apple’s sights. “iTV,” should it come to fruition, will use the same companies that provide cable and satellite television to service their product. According to an article published in TIME yesterday, the new venture will complete deals with television providers, potentially in conjunction with individual networks. One has to wonder, though, if Apple proceeds to storm onto the television market where the company’s limits could exist. Apple’s advantage lies in their existing catalogue of gadgets. If the project is released, products like the iPhone, iPad or Siri could serve as controls. Television will be accessible in an unprecedented way.

In addition to all the synchronized physical products, Apple “apps” could also factor into television distribution, consolidating a vast array of media into a streamlined entertainment experience. Nevertheless, the new project could be pushing the Apple brand one step too far. Relying on brand power alone won’t guarantee success; many television distributors are used to a specific business model and will be reluctant to change on account of one company alone.

Of course, the project is still only speculation as far as the public is concerned. Cable companies and Apple will probably both have certain demands, so compromise will take some time to materialize. However, if Apple’s iTV becomes reality, we can guarantee the new technology will further revolutionize everyday life.