Food, The Muse

A Vegetarian Sanctuary on Wheels

Photo by Marisa Benjamin, Daily Free Press Staff

Amongst the hustle and bustle of Commonwealth Avenue lies a vegetarian sanctuary.  Eighties rock erupts from this 22-foot long food truck while a line of shivering students forms in anticipation for hot tea and warm, organic food. The music is drowned out by the voices of Clover Food Truck’s two enthusiastic young servers, Julie and Cait. Clover’s casual yet personable atmosphere is most exemplified when a customer asks, “Can I have French fries?” to which Julie replies, “Hell yeah you can!”

With Boston University Dining Services’ vegan and vegetarian options not enough for everyone, BU students have a few alternatives on campus. Fear not, for the Clover Food Truck is a “new type of fast food.” Clover, founded in 2008 by Massachusetts Institute of Technology graduate Ayr Muir, offers local, organic food at affordable prices. Clover not only satisfies hunger but encourages healthy eating habits as well. Most ingredients originate from local farms, or they are created at Clover’s proper restaurant, located in Cambridge. A seasonal menu provides customers with options that topple the dining halls’ extraordinarily creative portions of “veggie burgers” and “vegan tacos.” Even the French fries are made from freshly cut, Prince Edward Island potatoes.

“If people were to eat our food everyday, everyone’s health would benefit,” said Julie as she leans out the side of the truck to serve a young patron.

The most popular item on the Clover menu is the Chickpea fritter for the low price of $5. This signature sandwich has an eclectic mix of complementing flavors. To begin, homemade hummus is lightly spread on the whole wheat pita. The sandwich is then stuffed with diced tomatoes, cucumbers and a hint of lemon juice. The gluten-free chickpea fritter is then placed into the pita following the pickled carrots and red cabbage. All of this is topped with their signature Tahini sauce. The commitment to detail in this sandwich’s presentation is only rivaled by one thing: its taste. The Tahini, hummus, and chickpea give the sandwich an ethnic zing. However, the spices of these three are complemented by the freshness of the tomatoes and cucumbers. The subtle hint of lemon juice pulls it all together to make a satisfying but delicious sandwich.

Clover not only specializes in organic food, but organic beverages as well. Although iced tea might not be the first drink to grab in February, the Hibiscus Iced Tea is an appropriate option for any season. The Hibiscus, a tropical flower, is not overbearingly sweet. Rather, its slight tartness is harmonized by a dash of brown sugar. With its soothing quality, the Hibiscus Iced Tea is great for any indoor or outdoor dining experience.

Clover prides itself in providing its customers with fresh food made with top-quality seasonal ingredients. One seasonal favorite is the pimento cheese sandwich. Made with a creamy mayonnaise and cheddar dressing, the sandwich is filled to the brim with seasoned cucumbers and pickled celery. The fresh cucumber taste grants a light summery touch while a tiny bit of heat in the mayonnaise and cheddar spread serves to remind you that it’s still winter. This creamy, tangy and fresh sandwich is a great seasonal addition to the sandwich lineup.

In keeping with Clover’s casual and down-to-earth feel, they offer a twist on a well-known classic: mac ‘n’ cheese. Clover’s cheesy grits are a personal favorite that includes the deep flavor of sharp cheddar and plenty of freshly cracked pepper corn without the heaviness that typically accompanies mac ‘n’ cheese.

With the prospects of decent vegetarian and vegan options in dining halls looking bleaker than ever, Clover is a great place to go to pick up a quick breakfast or lunch. The friendly employees are more than happy to explain the ingredients in any of the dishes or drinks and are always up for a little conversation while you wait for your food. The servers will always tell patrons the wait times for dishes and it’s never more than eight minutes—perfect for a quick meal on your way to class.

1. estellemacdonald

Bravo and many thanks for the deeeelish offerings so good to read about you!!