College degree, employment tied to better mental health, study says

By obtaining a bachelor’s degree, College of Engineering freshman Hsin Chiao Lin said students could not only achieve a better of living, but also feel less stressed.

“If you have a college degree, you tend to get a better job, be paid better and not have to worry as much,” he said.

Those who attain a college degree after their mid-20s demonstrate fewer depressive traits and better self-judged health than people who complete their education later in life, according to a study published Tuesday by the American Journal of Public Health.

The study compared that demographic to people in their 40s who returned to school and obtained their highest degree after age 25, the typical age when students complete their education.

People who get their bachelor’s degrees at ages 24 to 26 showed fewer depressive symptoms by the midpoint of their lives.

Additionally, those who got a bachelor’s around the midpoint rated their own health better than those with a high school diploma.

Dr. Katrina Walsemann, director of the study, noted how education can be tied to health as college-educated people tend to suffer less from unemployment.

Smoking rates are also lower among the more educated, she said.

Boston University professor of psychology Michael Otto said college provides a “different backdrop” of health. The reason for the findings may be because students tend to develop exercise habits throughout college.

“Leisure-time physical activity tends to be higher among those with better education,” he said via email, “and this sort of physical activity is linked to lots of mood and general health benefits.”

Otto, author of “Exercise for Mood and Anxiety Disorders: Proven Strategies for Overcoming Depression and Enhancing Well-being,” said the increased knowledge and problem-solving skills acquired in college can help graduates cope with life challenges, therefore reducing the likelihood of depression.

College of General Studies freshman Caleb Ratinetz said people who are more educated are likely less depressed because they have some level of financial stability.

“When you have a degree, you have a higher standard of living and you struggle less,” he said.

Lin said there is social pressure to get a degree.

“If you’re 40 and you don’t have a college degree and you compare yourself to people around you who do, you’ll feel less self-worth,” he said.

Alison Manning, a College of Arts and Sciences freshman, said people who have attained a college degree might be less depressed because they feel as though they have made a notable achievement.

“In today’s society, [a degree] is a symbol of success,” she said. “People feel happier because they have a tangible symbol of their own success.”

1. of course like your web-site however you need to check the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I in finding it very bothersome to tell the truth nevertheless I will surely come again again.