Wahlberg, Teamsters to bring reality series to Hub

Aided by Boston native and producer Mark Wahlberg, a new unscripted show featuring the Teamsters Local 25 union in the Hub will reveal “the most legendary union in the most aggressive and territorial city in America: Boston,” according to an A&E press release.

A&E will collaborate with Wahlberg and others on a pilot for “Teamsters,” the working title of the new television program.

On the show, Teamsters Local 25 will “battle for the rights of their 11,000 members,” according to the press release.

Bob DeBitetto, the president and general manager of A&E and the BIO Channel, said in the press release A&E strives to deliver “first-class auspices” to viewers.

“We’re so proud to collaborate with this group of producers and offer an authentic point of view from the unique characters this world provides,” DeBitetto said.

The Local 25 chapter, part of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, is one of the oldest and largest locals in the country, according to its website. Wahlberg’s father, a truck driver, was a member of the Teamsters’ union.

Wahlberg has seen success producing the scripted television shows “Entourage” and “Boardwalk Empire.” He has also starred in Boston-related films such as “The Departed” and “The Fighter.”

In addition to Wahlberg, who is the executive producer for Closest to the Hole productions, producers from Leverage Management and Transition Productions will also be working with A&E on the show, according to the press release.

“We believe A&E is the perfect venue to create a cutting- edge show that promises to be like nothing else on television,” said Stephen Levinson, the executive producer of Leverage Management, in the press release.

Levinson also served as executive producer of “Entourage” and “Boardwalk Empire.”

Dan Silberman, the senior vice president of publicity at A&E Television Networks, said they are shooting a pilot, although he has no exact timeline on that right now.

Deborah Jaramillo, an assistant professor of film and television at Boston University, said in an email “Teamsters” will be a successful show.

“The Teamsters are the most famous union in the country, having been featured in movies like [Martin] Scorsese’s ‘Casino,’ so they have a brand that could work well on TV,” she said.

Jaramillo said Boston is the perfect location to host the reality show because it would “give it this whole tough, ‘working-class hero’ vibe.”

She also said Wahlberg’s television track record is an indicator that his new venture could be successful.

“A&E seems like the perfect fit, given its grittier reality programs like ‘Hoarders’ and ‘Heavy,’” she said.

Though reality shows tend to have a bad reputation in the eyes of the critics, Jaramillo said not all unscripted television is bad, and viewers should give “Teamsters” a chance.

“It’s ignorant to dismiss an entire television genre simply because the most popular ones are a bit silly,” she said. “Instead of letting the fluff sink the genre, why not let the most substantial ones raise the bar?”

A specific date for the premiere of the program has not been scheduled.

1. Sounds like a great concept. I like reality TV. One based on something I know a bit about will probably be very interesting. Teamsters Local 688 – YRC Freight