Campus, Ice Hockey, NCAA, News, Sports

Prosecution drops major charge in Trivino case

Former Boston University men’s hockey forward Corey Trivino is no longer being charged with assault with intent to rape, the most serious of seven charges stemming from a Dec. 11 incident, due to insufficient evidence, officials said.

Brighton District Attorney spokesman Jake Wark said there was no evidence suggesting Trivino intended to use force in efforts to rape the victim.

“We have an ethical obligation not to pursue a charge that we know we can’t prove,” he said. “It’s certainly not a reflection of the victim’s credibility or anything of that nature.”

Trivino, who had been a Metropolitan College senior before his arrest, still faces three counts of indecent assault and battery and two counts of breaking and entering, Wark said. Trivino originally faced three counts of breaking and entering.

Those charges came after Trivino allegedly broke into a female student’s room multiple times and sexually assaulted her. The incident, which was the 21-year-old’s fourth alcohol-related incident in his nearly three-and-a-half years at BU, resulted in his permanent dismissal from the team.

On Thursday, Trivino appeared in court for a probable cause hearing to determine whether the crimes occurred.  Conrad Bletzer, Trivino’s defense attorney, submitted a request for an extension, which was granted by the judge. The hearing was moved to April 27.

“In Massachusetts, there’s generally a series of intermediary dates between the time of arraignment and the time of trial, and they number anywhere from three to a dozen or more,” Wark said. “So procedurally, the case would be continued from yesterday’s hearing regardless of what happened.”

Trivino did not speak during the hearing, but stood in the courtroom while his attorney represented him.

BU men’s hockey coach Jack Parker, who is with his No. 8/10 Terriers in St. Paul, Minn., for the NCAA Regionals, will not comment on the change in the case.

Former Boston University men’s hockey forward Corey Trivino is no longer being charged with assault with intent to rape, the most serious of seven charges stemming from a Dec. 11 incident, due to insufficient evidence, officials said.

Brighton District Attorney spokesman Jake Wark said there was no evidence suggesting Trivino intended to use force in efforts to rape the victim.

“We have an ethical obligation not to pursue a charge that we know we can’t prove,” he said. “It’s certainly not a reflection of the victim’s credibility or anything of that nature.”

Trivino, who had been a Metropolitan College senior before his arrest, still faces three counts of indecent assault and battery and two counts of breaking and entering, Wark said. Trivino originally faced three counts of breaking and entering.

Those charges came after Trivino allegedly broke into a female student’s room multiple times and sexually assaulted her. The incident, which was the 21-year-old’s fourth alcohol-related incident in his nearly three-and-a-half years at BU, resulted in his permanent dismissal from the team.

On Thursday, Trivino appeared in court for a probable cause hearing to determine whether the crimes occurred.  Conrad Bletzer, Trivino’s defense attorney, submitted a request for an extension, which was granted by the judge. The hearing was moved to April 27.

“In Massachusetts, there’s generally a series of intermediary dates between the time of arraignment and the time of trial, and they number anywhere from three to a dozen or more,” Wark said. “So procedurally, the case would be continued from yesterday’s hearing regardless of what happened.”

Trivino did not speak during the hearing, but stood in the courtroom while his attorney represented him.

BU men’s hockey coach Jack Parker, who was with the Terriers in St. Paul, Minn., for the NCAA Regionals at the time of the trial, would not comment on the change in the case.

2 Comments

  1. The intent to rape charge was over the top from the beginning. Sure, he messed up huge, but from the police reports, the situation never got to attempting rape. 6 felony counts was quite enough before the hearsay speculation of “attempt to rape.”

    Hope the victim is doing okay out of all this, and also hope Corey gets his problems figured out.

  2. Is there any NON conflict of interest in MA courts? Which Conrad Bletzer? Sr, the Judge, of Brighton, or Junior, the former DA in Boston courts, or Conrad III, the one permanently banned from doing mortgages in MA? There’s no fairness in MA courts when there are very close relationships like Judges and other Judges and DA’s doing business. It’s time for Ware Report II.