STAFF EDIT: Testing diet

We are constantly bombarded by advertisements and documentaries on how the human race is getting fatter. The “obesity epidemic” has swept across countries, and the advent of sitting indoors and playing with electronic devices instead of walking around in the outside world means we are a lot less physically active than previous generations. As a result, there has been pressure from media announcements and government initiatives to promote more active lifestyles. However, one man has taken the debate to an alarming extreme. Dr. Pierre Dukan, the French creator of the infamous “Dukan Diet” proposed that the baccalaureate exam in France should have a section that rewards students who fall below a certain weight.

According to an article published by TIME yesterday, the comments made by Dukan have prompted an ethics hearing by the College of Physicians. Dukan allegedly violated the ethics code, which states, “A doctor must be aware of the repercussions his views can have on the public.” Words cannot adequately express how ridiculous this proposition is. The fact that such an insensitive comment even warrants a hearing is absurd. This so-called doctor, who advocates a diet that has been deemed dangerous by another nutritionist, put this proposal forth with no regard to students’ self-esteem.

Should Dukan be found guilty of violating the code of ethics, he would be removed from the medical registry – severe punishment that will be seen by many as futile since his comments are already in the public domain. There is no question that obesity is a health issue that plagues our young population, but having stressed students worrying about their weight as well as their exams is not the solution. The fact that there is an educated individual who thinks it makes sense to reward thin students academically proves that the world has become a pretty twisted place. Nevertheless, adverse reactions from the medical community and the general public mean that there still remains some semblance of decency regarding body image.

Hopefully, public condemnation alone will ensure that Dr. Dukan and his work lose credibility among young students. The hearing is set to take place in the next six months; unfortunately, by that time the whole issue could be swept under the rug and forgotten.