STAFF EDIT: Flying futures?

Often, when we are describing what our world would be like in the future, we imagine conveyor belts as sidewalks, holographic figures emerging out of futuristic phones, flying cars and other inconceivable gadgets making human life infinitely more convenient. According to an article published in The Christian Science Monitor yesterday, one of these dreams is soon to be a reality: The Terrafugia Transition is a flying vehicle that can fold itself into a car. The car – or plane? – needs a runway to launch into the air. The vehicle, which has been in a testing phase, completed its first flight on Monday and can fly into the air to an altitude of 1,400 feet.

Of course, such a novel product is incredibly expensive. The car costs approximately $279,000. Despite the obscene price, more than 100 people have already paid the $10,000 deposit required to reserve a guaranteed flying car. Furthermore, the relevant governmental organizations have already made sure any traffic laws that would bar this vision from appearing on our streets and airport runways were surpassed. Of course, the initial expense will be supplemented by costly fuel and maintenance costs when the vehicle eventually branches out into the wider consumer market. In order to garner media attention to the new invention, the flying car will be introduced at the New York Auto Show.

While this is definitely an exciting new venture, such a drastic change in private transportation will need a lot of consideration. How does anyone intend to regulate traffic for a vehicle that can be operated both on and above public roads? In addition, authorities have allegedly waived some safety measures to make sure the vehicle is light enough. Will this compromise the overall security of the flying car? Unfortunately, much more time will have to pass before we know whether we’re dawning on a new way of life or another valiant attempt at change. Naturally, consumers will be hesitant to spend such an enormous amount of money on a car, which can only fly from a runway. However, with additional progress, we could be on the brink of significant change.