STAFF EDIT: Stopping sanitizer

Despite police presence and the law dictating that minors cannot consume alcohol, teenagers are often guilty of breaking this law. One usually hears anecdotes of minors being supplied by adults or people taking advantage of fake identification. As young adults, many students feel compelled to rebel against authority; underage drinking is definitely one way they do so. Nevertheless, in desperation, these brushes with the law can become incredibly dangerous. Conventional alcohol is no longer the substance of choice; teenagers turn to cough syrup as well as a variety of other medications to alter their mental states. The latest substance that is now being abused is reportedly hand sanitizer.

According to an article published by The Los Angeles Times on Wednesday, six teenagers were rushed to emergency rooms in San Fernando Valley after they contracted alcohol poisoning. Some of the teenagers allegedly used salt to separate the alcohol from the sanitizer, creating an incredibly strong alcoholic shot. These cases, while somewhat rare for now, are a troubling indicator of underage drinking spiralling out of control. The article explains that liquid hand sanitizer is comprised of 62 percent ethyl alcohol, and consequent effects of ingesting this can be slurred speech and a burning sensation in one’s stomach.

There is no denying that individuals who fall below the drinking age are going to indulge in alcohol. However, in search of a quick high, these teenagers are reverting to substances that are often abused by alcoholics or people with heavy dependence on alcohol. This level of desperation is unhealthy; you veer away from harmless experimentation to potentially harmful addictions. The fact that young adults are starting their drinking habits in this way is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

The reality is parents should not have to monitor liquid hand sanitizer the way they monitor liquor or medicinal drugs in the house. In the United States, you are considered an adult and free to do as you please when you are 21 years old. However, a fix to the alcohol abuse might be  to not treat teenagers like protected children, because doing so will only prompt them to act like children for a much longer period of time.