Campus, Ice Hockey, News, Sports

Task force identifies problems in men’s hockey culture

The Boston University’s Men’s Ice Hockey Task Force released its final report today, concluding that issues exist with both the hockey team itself and the oversight of the team.

“The task force concluded that the unique culture of men’s ice hockey, played at the highest collegiate level, and the preeminent status of our team on campus contribute to a celebrity culture and an isolation of these athletes from the majority of our student body,” said BU President Robert Brown in a letter to the BU community.

The task force was formed in March after two hockey players, Corey Trivino and Max Nicastro, were charged with sexual assault. The task force consisted of various members of the BU community and was chaired by University Provost Jean Morrison and Trustee Jonathan Cole.

The report offered 14 recommendations based on the findings of the task force, including normalization of the Department of Athletics structure and better integration of student athletes, particularly hockey players, into college life.

Brown said the university is attempting to implement many of the task force’s recommendations as quickly as possible.

The Task Force’s report addressed the sexual culture on the hockey team, saying a “culture of sexual entitlement exists among some players on the men’s ice hockey team, stemming in part from their elevated social status on campus.”

The report also highlighted flaws in the way the hockey team is managed.

“Our conclusion is that there are a number of important structures and processes that are failing to achieve the full level and quality of oversight of the men’s ice hockey program that is expected and appropriate at a major university,” the report stated.

The task force concluded that one factor contributing to the culture of the hockey team is the separation of the team from the rest of the BU community. According to the report players become “insulated from he larger BU undergraduate population” because of housing, training and team participation demands.

In his letter, Brown said men’s hockey coach Jack Parker has stepped down from his position as executive director of Athletics to focus exclusively on coaching.

Brown said that alcohol usage was a contributing factor to the incidents.

“We are reviewing the recommendation about how best to implement a comprehensive, campus-wide program aimed at moderating alcohol use by our students,” he said in his letter.

Michael Glazier, chair of the collegiate sports practice group in the law firm Bond, Schoeneck & King, PLLC, found no evidence of major NCAA violations in his private investigation,  according to the report.