Terriers fail to complete comeback, fall to Pride

After a match in which the Boston University men’s soccer team finally got its offensive game going with four goals, the team came back down to Earth and lost 2–1 in a comeback attempt that came up just short against Hofstra University.

Redshirt freshman forward Parker Powell scored the Terriers’ only goal in their 2–1 loss to Hofstra Friday. MICHAEL CUMMO/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

Excluding the game against The College of the Holy Cross, the Terriers have had trouble scoring all season.

They scored only five goals in their first seven games of the season. The team hoped that its four-goal performance against Holy Cross would be a turning point for the offensive corps.

However, this game against a Tribe team with a lot of firepower was expected to be a tough one, as indicated by their play throughout this young season. Coming into the game, Hofstra was having success on the offensive side of the ball, scoring an average of 1.83 goals per game.

Tyler Botte’s three goals have led the way for this great attacking corps. However, the Pride defense has not had as much luck. They came into this game having allowed 10 goals in seven games for a mediocre 1.43 average goals allowed per game.

The Terriers knew this matchup would be a handful for their defense, but were hopeful that they could maintain possession of the ball enough to create good scoring chances against a weak defense.

The game proved to be a tale of two halves, as BU was too busy in its own defensive zone in the first half, but was able to possess the ball and attempt more shots in the second half.

“We really did not play well the first 60 minutes,” said BU coach Neil Roberts. “It really was quite disappointing that we didn’t compete well enough. We were slow.”

The Pride came out ready to go right away.

They had the first two shots of the game and could have had more if it was not for three offside calls that went against them in the first 15 minutes of the game.

Hofstra controlled the pace of play and had the ball in its possession for just about the entire first half. In the 24th minute, their pressure paid off as midfielder Joseph Holland ripped a shot from 15 yards out that went in the top right corner of the net, just under the crossbar.

Sophomore goalkeeper Nick Thomson did not have a chance at the save, as he dove for the ball to no avail.

Similar play continued after the first goal. Hofstra ended the half with seven shots on goal while the Terriers were only able to put up two.

After junior midfielder Evin Nadaner’s shot that went wide in the 29th minute, BU ended the half with 16 minutes of getting no shots and allowing four shots and a corner kick.

The start of the second half seemed promising for the Terriers, as Thomas Bekas of the Pride was handed a yellow card in the 46th minute.

However, Bekas proved not to be phased by the call. In the 49th minute, Bekas had the ball at the top of the box and fired away into the top left corner of the net for his first goal of the season and Hofstra’s second of the game.

The game seemed to go quickly from bad to worse for BU as Hofstra got two good scoring chances minutes later, one of which was saved by Nick Thomson and another which was shot just wide.

Following the latter, redshirt freshman Mac McGuire got sent off due to a red card.

But somehow, after the red card was given, BU finally got its offense going.

The team gathered four quality shots (three on goal) between the 63rd and 75th minute. Hofstra goalkeeper Adam Janowski was stellar in preventing the Terriers from scoring, denying offensive weapon senior forward Michael Bustamante from scoring twice.

“After that [red card] we played well,” Roberts said. We scored a goal and we had three really good chances. We probably should’ve gotten another goal.”

BU’s first and only goal came in the 76th minute when junior midfielder Anthony Ciccone crossed a ball from the left side and sophomore forward Parker Powell headed it into the net near the right post.

The goal made Powell the team-leader with three goals on the season.

Roberts praised Powell’s play this season.

“[Powell is] doing extremely well,” Roberts said. “He is very opportunistic. He’s a big, strong kid and he’s making himself available.”

The momentum certainly swung in favor of the Terriers after Parker’s goal, as they quickly put another scoring opportunity together in the 78th minute.

Ciccone dribbled the ball into the offensive zone and took a shot that was blocked, and then Dominique Badji took a shot seconds later that went wide.

Hofstra held off BU’s attack for the remainder of the game.

The Terriers’ next chance at a game-tying goal did not come until they had a corner kick in the 87th minute. They were unable to make anything happen and the comeback attempt was thwarted.

“[This game] showed what we’re capable of doing,” Roberts said.

“When we don’t compete, we can’t beat anybody. When we compete, we can beat anybody.”