OOMMEN: How I met my roommate

The moment I joined BU’s Class of 2016 Facebook group, I saw roommate surveys posted by future students for all to see and judge.

Though I’m kind of the jobless person who likes to fill out surveys, I knew that I was not planning on finding a roommate in this manner.

Roommate hunting on social networking websites is not a bad idea for some people. It is obviously much easier to spend the next nine months with someone you share the same interests with.

Or is it?

I filled in the fact-file anyway. It did not take that much time. I thought I knew myself pretty well, and I knew what I was looking for.

Interests: Piano, writing, theater, singing …

A day later, I got a friend request and message from this girl. She said she thought my answers matched hers pretty well. I stalked her profile a little and saw that most of her photos were of her in plays and musical productions. Her cover photo was of her on a stage, balancing on one foot in a flowery red dress with her mouth and eyes wide open.

I didn’t recognize what scene she was playing, but it was definitely not one I have ever allowed myself to create before.

“Looks like somebody needs to rethink their answers!” My heart told my brain.

Am I interested in theater and singing?

I am, in the sense that I love to watch the famous stuff like Broadway or any Disney classic. And I have been in two plays.

However, I was not aware that there are real theater-crazed fans out there that care for the most bizarre productions.

I’m sure they are interesting people, but if 100 percent theater-freak is what they’re looking for, then they shouldn’t look to me.

I guess I could become one of them if I tried, but like many people my interests are so varied. I go through an identity crisis every morning. My moods change according to the weather and the songs on my iPod shuffle. Of course, there are things I’m sure I like — my favorite TV shows and my sleeping habits. Anyway, I decided to go for a random roommate, and I ended up with a pretty good deal. We may not be best friends, but we respect one another.

So to all those out there who are not BFFs with their roommates, there is a bright side!

But if you do happen to have any online roommate success stories, let’s hear them.

Rhea Oommen is a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences and a weekly columnist for The Daily Free Press. She can be reached at rheao@bu.edu.