Terriers continue winning streak with victories over RPI, Union

The Boston University women’s ice hockey team continued its strong start against Union College on Saturday by winning its third game in a row and remaining undefeated on the season.

The Terriers (3–0–0) have been fantastic on the offensive side of the puck, scoring 13 goals in just three games. The defense hasn’t been quite as impressive, as it has allowed six goals thus far.

With a 4–2 win against fierce rival Boston College (0–2) and a nail-biting 3–2 victory over Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (1–2–1), BU came into this game with hopes of continuing its winning play.

The Dutchwomen (1–2) are a struggling group. They won just four games in their 2011-2012 campaign, finishing with a 4–26–4 record and have already started this season with two losses in three games against Hockey East opponents following Saturday’s game.

BU coach Brian Durocher said that simplicity was key in the win over Union.

“If you play unselfish, play smart and keep it simple it’ll happen,” Durocher said.

The game began very slowly. Both teams were getting chances, but junior goaltender Kerrin Sperry of BU and senior goaltender Alana Marcinko of Union were making routine saves.

With 10:21 remaining in the first period, the scoring began. After junior forward Marie-Philip Poulin took a shot, Marcinko was unable to handle the rebound. Freshman forward Sarah Lefort took the puck from behind the goal and slid it off the goaltender and into the back of the net to get BU on the board first. The assists were awarded to senior forward Jill Cardella and Poulin.

The rest of the first period was quiet, with both teams blocking shots and preventing good scoring opportunities. The teams went into the locker room with BU in the lead 1–0.

The second period was a different story, as it became a scoring parade quickly.

“We got some good fortune through our hard work and smarter play,” Durocher said. “That came in the second period when pucks found their way in.”

With 16:57 remaining in the period, freshman forward Rebecca Russo took a shot on net.

Marcinko mishandled the rebound and sophomore forward Kayla Tutino was able to take advantage by putting the rebound into the net for a 2–0 BU lead. It was Tutino’s first goal of the season.

Just 55 seconds later, BU extended its lead to three. Lefort found herself standing in front of the net to take advantage of yet another rebound. Junior defenseman Shannon Doyle and Cardella were given the assists.

It was Lefort’s second goal of the game and fifth of her freshman season.

“[Lefort] can carry the puck, she can take it wide, and she can power it to the net,” Durocher said. “She’s a pretty thorough player who’s on a nice run right now.”

With 14:15 remaining in the second period, Union got itself onto the scoreboard.

Freshman forward Courtney Turner took a shot from the top of the left circle that deflected off of freshman forward Kathryn Tomaselli and into the net. It was the first goal of Tomaselli’s collegiate career.

However, BU poured salt on the wound and scored two more goals before the end of the second period. With 4:43 remaining, junior defenseman Kaleigh Fratkin sent a pass to senior forward Isabel Menard, who quickly sent the puck across the net to freshman forward Dakota Woodworth. Woodworth put it in for her second goal of the season.

With 3:54 remaining, Menard ripped a shot past the goaltender for her first goal of the season. The period ended with BU on top 5–1.

Both teams made goalie changes to start the third period. Union put in freshman goaltender Madeleine Dahl while BU played senior goalie Alissa Fromkin.

In the final period, Tutino tacked on another goal for the Terriers, and Union picked up another of its own before the final buzzer.

Tutino said she was proud of the team effort that led to her goals.

“The entire team contributed to my goals,” Tutino said. “It was a team effort, and I’m glad everyone contributed.”