Romney, Obama clash on foreign policy, military in final debate

In their last major public appeal to the American people, President Barack Obama defended the nation’s military strength and feats as Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney called for a stronger economy to secure the nation.

The foreign policy debate focused on the Middle East, though both candidates managed to squeeze in rhetoric on some domestic issues and the strength of the American military.

Bob Schieffer of CBS News moderated the Monday night debate at Lynn University in Florida, and it was broadcast on WHDH in Boston.

The first question from Schieffer focused on the death of an American ambassador in Libya after an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Benghazi, a topic that has put Obama in the spotlight in previous debates.

Romney said the country is seeing a “pretty dramatic reversal” of the hopes the U.S. had for that region.

“We’ve seen in nation after nation a number of disturbing events,” Romney said, referring to the death of the Libyan ambassador as well as the killing of Syrian civilians by their own government.

Obama countered by defending his record as commander-in-chief.

“We ended the war in Iraq,” Obama said. “[We] refocused our attention on those who actually killed us on 9/11. And, as a consequence, al-Qaeda’s core leadership has been decimated.”

Obama said Romney’s foreign policy plan is “all over the map,” and lacks consistency, which is crucial on the world stage.

“You’ve got to be clear, both to our allies and our enemies, about where you stand and what you mean,” Obama said.

Throughout the debate, Romney made the point that the world needs more peace and it is America’s purpose to help make that happen.

“We want a peaceful planet,” Romney said. “We want people to be able to enjoy their lives and know they’re going to have a bright and prosperous future, not be at war. That’s our purpose.”

Romney attacked the Obama administration by saying the country needs a stronger economy to make this happen, and Romney could do that.

Romney said the former joint chief of staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, agreed with him about the importance of a vibrant economy.

“Mullen said our debt is the biggest national security threat we face,” Romney said. “We have weakened our economy. We need a strong economy.”

Obama countered by saying that America is stronger now than when he entered office.

“Because we ended the war in Iraq, we were able to refocus our attention on not only the terrorist threat, but also beginning a transition process in Afghanistan,” he said.

Obama later attacked Romney, saying his policies are “wrong and reckless.”

When Schieffer asked about Romney’s military spending policies, Romney answered with the broader assertion that Obama has not been able to balance the budget and that he has experience that would allow him to do so.

“I went to the Olympics. That was out of balance,” Romney said. “And we got it on balance and made a success there.”

Romney said the Navy needs more ships and that the current Navy is the smallest the U.S. has had since 1917.

Obama said military spending has increased every year he has been in office, and said there are fewer ships than in 1916 because the nature of the military has changed.

“We have these things called aircraft carriers, where planes land on them,” Obama said. “We have these ships that go underwater, nuclear submarines.”

Both Obama and Romney agreed of the topic of Israeli relations, and said they would stand behind them if Israel were attacked.

“Israel is a true friend,” Obama said. “It is our greatest ally in the region. And if Israel is attacked, America will stand with Israel. I’ve made that clear throughout my presidency.”

The comment that Israel is “our greatest ally” represents a slight shift for the president, who said in September on “60 Minutes” that Israel was “one of our closet allies in the region.”

Romney agreed with the president, and espoused support for Israel.

“We need to make sure as well that we coordinate this effort with our allies and particularly with Israel,” he said.

Romney pledged that by the end of 2014, troops would be home from Afghanistan if he were elected president, a policy shift from his previous view to consult with military leaders on the timetable out of the war.

“We’ve seen progress over the past several years,” he said. “The surge has been successful and the training program is proceeding at pace.”

Both candidates ended the debate with their closing statements, and Schieffer ended the debate with a quote from his mother.

“Go vote,” he said. “It’ll make you feel big and strong.”